jump to last post 1-15 of 15 discussions (22 posts)

Why Do We Press the 'Elevator Button' more than Once?

1. alisha4u profile image60
    alisha4uposted 4 years ago

I have seen people poking the Elevator button twice or sometimes thrice...I used to do the same until I realized it... wink

I'm sure You All Do it.... How does it help? Does the Elevator move faster ?? Let's all participate !!

1. 73
      independentmindedposted 4 years ago in reply to this

If I said that I never did that myself, I'd be lying.  Impatience is a big reason for pushing the elevator more than once.  Sometimes it makes the Elevator move faster, and sometimes it doesn't.

alisha4uposted 4 years ago in reply to this

2. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 4 years ago

I don't - just once. In the movies they press it numerous times cause generally they chasing something or being chased.

3. Hollie Thomas profile image59
    Hollie Thomasposted 4 years ago

Because people are, generally speaking, impatient.

Indeed !
      You would be amazed to know that few are dumb. That's because they think that the elevator works faster when pressed more than once...

4. Eric Newland profile image60
    Eric Newlandposted 4 years ago

I only press the button once because I'm afraid of being double-charged.

Actually, I don't press the floor button more than once. But I'll mash the Close Door button and sometimes the directional button outside the elevator. Yeah, it's lit up, but can you ever be really sure?

Double charged, as in ???

5. petenali profile image94
    petenaliposted 4 years ago

Usually when I am in an elevator, I'm with my kids and hence I don't even get a sniff at pressing one button, let alone more than one.  If I did, the kid in me says that I'd most likely press all of them!

You won't believe, but that's what I do when with friends...
      I do not show any mercy on the poor elevatorand press all those stupid buttons.... smile

6. aka-dj profile image80
    aka-djposted 4 years ago

Cute question.
    I, for one have done it, often, though I don't do it these days.
    It used to be that the button didn't activate if pushed lightly.
    So, I'd push it harder the second time. Now I learnt to do it once, a little harder the first time.

Lolzzz... smile

7. Lisa HW profile image82
    Lisa HWposted 4 years ago

I don't always do it, but I've done it.  I think it's because whoever designs them doesn't build in some kind of feedback to assure people that their "press" actually registered.  (So I blame those people who designed them poorly - not the people who are uncertain about whether or not their "press" "took"   big_smile  )  (A light's not good enough, apparently.  I think people need something better than that.  )

8. Eric Newland profile image60
    Eric Newlandposted 4 years ago

As in I sometimes confuse elevator buttons with order confirmation buttons. :-B

"It looks like a Christmas tree!"

1. wimzee profile image60
      wimzeeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I find myself doing it mostly when I'm impatient or irritated--smacking these poor buttons are a socially acceptable way for me to vent my anger, silly as I know it is. The buttons have their limits, though; one elevator was shut down for service. The reason? Some of the buttons had come off their moorings. (I occasionally do the same thing with those buttons on the crosswalk lights, if I'm not being illegal and jaywalking in the first place!)

9. Sunita-Sharma profile image79
    Sunita-Sharmaposted 4 years ago

Sometimes when I am angry or impatient,I tend to do the same wink
    But,this doesn't make elevators move faster for sure!

10. Gurpreet Seehra profile image81
    Gurpreet Seehraposted 4 years ago

I don't press the button more than once (at least when the light is lit with one press). Some of the reasons why people press it again and again is.

1. Some think that the lift is operated by a human. That person will be alert as many times as you press the button. They hope that he will realize their urgency and drive the lift faster.
    2. A rational second type does it to be double sure that the signal is properly transmitted.
    2. Third kind, and more general one, don't have control over their body movements when they are impatient. Instead of holding their nerves they feel it easier to poke the guilt on to the innocent button.
    3. There is also a fourth type who like to flaunt their sense of importance by showing that they are too busy to wait.

11. Shanna11 profile image90
    Shanna11posted 4 years ago

I never push the elevator button more than once-- once I see it light up, I know I'm good. But in my college classes, we use these things called I-clickers, which allow you to take a quiz from your seat by pushing the corresponding button to the answers your teacher is giving you for a question on her computer.

I'll hit the answer button, and I'll see the light flash on my clicker and confirm it was recorded, but I'll still hit it over and over and over. It's a bit OCD, but I just want to be sure my grade gets recorded.

12. FloraBreenRobison profile image61
    FloraBreenRobisonposted 4 years ago

In my building, the buttons light up to show they have been pushed. But not all elevators have these types of buttons. Mom lives in a building whose elevator buttons don't light up and I find I am more likely to press the buttons twice in that type of elevator to make sure that I did indeed press hard enough the first time.

13. Shaddie profile image93
    Shaddieposted 4 years ago

I find that pressing the button once, but holding it down as hard as I can, seems to effect the speed of the elevator in a way that my body cannot perceive but my mind feels well at ease for knowing.

14. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 4 years ago

hmmm...i guess i'm patient...once it is lit up, if i'm the first to press the up/down button...then i can take a step back and wait...i think sometimes people "fidgit around with it" out of nervousness or impatience...you know, when there are other people hanging out and waiting...and several folks will press the same button...just cuz!...what else is there to do besides stand there together waiting and staring at the elevator - might as well press the button too!....waiting for elevators should really be a place where folks take a moment and say hi and all that..but........most times, we just stare and wait and take turns pressin' the darn button and sending messages from our minds to the elevator, rather than acknowledging each other...lol....i don't like elevators...

15. zzron profile image60
    zzronposted 4 years ago

I believe the reason why people poke the elevator button more than once is because it is an electrical device and sometimes pushing the button once does not activate the system, so by poking the button more than once and doing it hard, it is more likely to activate.