jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (13 posts)

Star Treke--TV Series

1. 0
    Larry Wallposted 4 years ago

There have been five television series based on the Star Treke concept. There was the original show, Star Treke, followed by Star Treke--The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager and Enterprise.

Which was your favorite and least favorite. Tell us why. If you did not like any of the shows and never watch them tell us that and tell us why if you are so inclined.

1. Disturbia profile image60
      Disturbiaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

The original "Star Trek" is my favorite.  It's the real Star Trek.  All the others are just spin-offs.  Nice shows in their own right, but not really Star Trek.  It's not Star Trek without Kirk, Spock, and McCoy.

1. Insane Mundane profile image75
        Insane Mundaneposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I concur...

2. Jason Marovich profile image88
      Jason Marovichposted 4 years ago in reply to this

1. Next Gen
      2. Original
      3. Enterprise
      3. Voyager (tie)
      5. Deep Space Nine

The Next Generation series, after the first couple seasons the cast needed to gel, had some amazing writers.  Some of the stories they pulled off in one hour episodes are incredible.  (Picard's flute episode comes to mind).

I grew up watching the original series and it wasn't that big a deal back then.  I have no idea how those guys all got so glorified, but I loved watching them eat it up.  The original series was Gene Roddenberry's baby, so definitely can't overlook that.

Enterprise and Voyager both had good writing, but experienced some pretty bad acting from its stars.

Deep Space Nine was cute, I guess =/

3. 0
      Domenick Dicceposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Next Gen: Best character development and complex stories.
      Original: Started it all and have to love the classics.
      Voyager: Seven of Nine
      Enterprise: Fun to see how things started but poorly executed.
      Deep Space 9: Only made it through 2 episodes.

2. Credence2 profile image85
    Credence2posted 4 years ago

Hey friend, you found yourself a die hard trekkie fan. I don't know it has to be a toss up between 'Enterprise" and the "Next Generation"

Deep Space Nine was my least favorite as too much of it was becoming a soap opera.

I liked the "Next Generation" for imaginative writing and stories that makes one think a bit. I just loved the Piccard character.

I was fond of Enterprise for allowing me to see what an interface between the current time and the beginning of interstellar exploration might look like. Great special effects and stories.

TOS and Voyager are somewhere inbetween.

This article speaks on why I am such an admirer of the Star Trek universe.

http://credence2.hubpages.com/hub/Take- … te-Part-II

3. Michael J Rapp profile image59
    Michael J Rappposted 4 years ago

My favorite is Voyager.  My wife and I are in the processes of working through the episodes on Netflix and we're up to the end of season 2.  I never watched many of them besides Voyager, and of course the original, but now that I'm getting into it I'm interested in seeing some of the other series too.  I don't think I've watched more that a handful of episodes of The Next Generation and I've never seen Deep Space Nine.  But I will!

4. Michael Willis profile image76
    Michael Willisposted 4 years ago

Star Trek-the original series by far!!! Next Generation is my second favorite. I didn't much care for Deep Space Nine or Enterprise, but Voyager I did like.
    Oh...don't forget the Cartoon version. So, I guess there were 6 series!

5. Hypersapien profile image36
    Hypersapienposted 4 years ago

You forgot the cartoon series!  ;>)

Anyway, I'd say the original series was probably the best.  The Next Generation was good (and introduced two of the Trek Universe's more interesting characters:  Data and Worf).  Didn't care for Deep Space Nine, but I thought Voyager did a decent job of trying to recapture the original's sense of adventure in exploring the unknown.

6. Michele Travis profile image70
    Michele Travisposted 4 years ago

The best was the original Star Trek.  Used to watch that when I was younger.  Loved it.

7. 0
    Larry Wallposted 4 years ago

Ok, now it is my turn.

The Next Generation was my favorite, because as someone said it introduced the characters of Data and Worf, plus the show allow the personality of all of the characters to be fully developed.

My second favorite was Enterprise. No particular reasons, I just liked it.

However, I have seen every episode of the original shows several times and fully recognized that without that show, the others never would have existed.

1. Shinkicker profile image91
      Shinkickerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I think the original is still the best. Great characters like Kirk, Spock, McCoy and of course Scotty Och Aye!! :-)

8. Palomides profile image69
    Palomidesposted 4 years ago

1. Voyager -- Captain Janeway was simply awesome, and I liked the mix of a serial story line and contained episodes
    2. Deep Space 9 -- The serial story line is incredibly interesting and keeps me coming back (I've only made it half-way through on Netflix, but I should be done soon!)
    3. Enterprise -- Maybe it's because I'm from the generation that prefers special effects over true story content, but I definitely felt like this series simply came off as more "high quality" than the rest -- mostly because it fits with my assumption of what "good TV" is supposed to look like.  Plus, it was a darker story line.
    4. Next Generation -- The story-lines have a tendency to be a bit blah, but that might be because I'm only on season 3.
    5. TOS: I just can't bring myself to watch old television hmm

All in all though, I'd have to say I prefer Stargate SG-1 over all of these.  Definitely my favorite science fiction show of all time.