jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

QR Code Anxiety

1. Eric Newland profile image61
    Eric Newlandposted 4 years ago

When I finally upgraded to an iPhone a couple of months ago I thought I was hot stuff. "All right!" I thought. "Now I can scan those QR codes I see everywhere! Cool!" I downloaded a scanning app and stalked the world, ready to zap some QR awesomeness.

To my chagrin, however, I soon realized that I didn't care about 80% of the QR codes out there. I mean, do I really want to join BD's Mongo Madness e-mail club or whatever?

And then, even more disturbing, I discovered that even on the occasion when I find a QR code that actually looks useful, I hesitate. I get self-conscious. "What will people think if they see me whip out my phone to scan this code?" I wonder. "Will they think I'm some smartphone d-bag, scanning codes willy-nilly just so I can show off my phone?" And then, "What if they're right?"

Has anyone else experienced QR code anxiety or other smartphone-related disorders? Maybe we can form a support group. Is there an app for that?

2. skyfire profile image73
    skyfireposted 4 years ago

3. ElizaDoole profile image91
    ElizaDooleposted 4 years ago

In the UK geezers look well-dodgy when they sidle up to a lingerie ad on a massive billboard and start waving their smartphones about. Avoid. Avoid.

Eric Newlandposted 4 years ago in reply to this

4. jponiato profile image83
    jponiatoposted 4 years ago

Heh - this is a pretty funny take on a side of the whole QR code concept I hadn't thought much about.  I *have* worried that scanning the wrong code might be granting my tacit agreement to buy something I hadn't intended to.  I imagine scanning a code from some window and getting a message like "Thanks for signing up for a two year subscription to Oprah's magazine.  You'll be billed at 4 easy payments of $12.95 each."

I keep my phone in my pocket.

Eric Newlandposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Well, a QR code can't contain anything more sinister than a URL. Don't scan one that you just find graffitied on a wall somewhere, because codes could conceivably point you to a site with a malicious script, but it can't be a purchasing agreement all by itself because it doesn't contain your own personal payment information.

5. 0
    Lynn S. Murphyposted 4 years ago

bwahahaha. i just downloaded weight watchers app that scans and tell you points. its evil really.