jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (4 posts)

The Hunger Games Left Me Wanting

1. TMHughes profile image95
    TMHughesposted 4 years ago

I liked the book and the movie but I was left wanting.  I kept asking myself "why is there country like this, why is this happening?".  I wish there had been more back story, what do you guys think? I mean, is it really worth all the hype?

1. clairewait profile image90
      clairewaitposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Worth the hype?  I think you are forgetting that the Hunger Games was written as Young Adult Fiction.  Pretty much all YA fiction leaves the reader wanting.  The lack of intellectual depth is often what makes it YA rather than adult fiction, or literature.

I think on entertainment value alone, THG is worth the hype.  As far as books that spark in-depth discussion, questioning, or higher order thinking... no, they don't live up to such standards, in my opinion.

2. Palomides profile image70
      Palomidesposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I loved the books -- I haven't seen the movie yet but I intend to -- but I agree.  I want to know how it all happened!  Maybe a prequel series that explains how Panem got to be the way that it did.  With just three books in the series, I'm sure the studio execs are going to be pressuring the author to build more onto the universe so they have material for even more movies in the future.

1. TMHughes profile image95
        TMHughesposted 4 years ago in reply to this

No doubt, maybe it will become a new "universe" for writers to create stories, my favorite books are always the longest ones with the most detail.....