Art Who?

1. kerouac1986 profile image61
    kerouac1986posted 4 years ago

In the 1950s and 60s the beatniks broke into mainstream with their book, that was considered as art. In the 1970s Andy Warhol came onto the scene with a simple painting of a soup can, that is considered as art. In the late 80s and early 90s indie cinema made a splash in the movie industry,those films are now called art films. Nowadays we don't here about painters,authors and indie films don't get as much praise as they use to back then. Everyone has there own idea of what is art and what makes someone an artist so I guess I'm saying is that now everyone calls themselves an artist but my personal opinion to be call an artist it has to be earned not given. Someone asked Marilyn Manson when he dies what he wanted people to remember him for, he says he wanted people to think of him as an artist. To me he is a fucking artist but not to everyone. So my question

since everyone seems to call themselves an artist now has that term        "Artist" does anyone take it seriously now? and has the word "Artist and "Art" have been tarnished?

1. AEvans profile image74
      AEvansposted 4 years ago in reply to this

An 'Artist' is a person who created art, is skilled at what they do. An artist is a person who is talented enough for others to appreciate there work. I personally do not see Marilyn Manson has an artist; but do see him as someone with talent in the music field.

To me an artist is someone who has the ability to create something exquisite and beautiful. Something that represents life, meaning and purpose.

Andy Warhol was an artist that people either loved or hated. Van Gogh was similar. So defining a true artist really depends on a person's perception of who and how it should be defined.