jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

The Barber

1. writer boy profile image58
    writer boyposted 7 years ago

Do you notice when ever you go to get a haircut that their is always a weird conversation with you and your barber. Whenever I go they ask me questions like, how are you, are you from around here, do you have kids. All I want is a haircut not a conversation with a random stranger that just happens to be cutting my hair. Also the actual building where you get your haircut smells like hairspray and it gives me a headache. And all of the barbers look weird. So next time you go to the barber just remember what I told you.

2. Singer Boy profile image61
    Singer Boyposted 7 years ago

So true!

3. Mathi P profile image59
    Mathi Pposted 7 years ago

Barber ?

one day , guy come to me and asking me too , where is barber shop in near ? , really i don't know and asked what ?   

guy : where is barber shop in this place ?

am :  what barber ?

after he told  " mudi vettura kada " where is ?

oh .... just go back and see that shop  ...

1. weblog profile image59
      weblogposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Nice joke, practically shows that you have lot to learn about english smile

1. Mathi P profile image59
        Mathi Pposted 7 years ago in reply to this

thanks , really i don't know english and particularly grammer .

4. RavynSteel profile image80
    RavynSteelposted 7 years ago

As a former hairdresser/barber I can say that making inane conversation is actually taught at hairdressing school! We're told to 'put the customer at their ease' and apparently the best way to do this is to make stilted, awkward conversation with clients who just want you to shut up.

Having said that though, from a stylist point of view, there is nothing worse than a client who just sits there and glares at you through the mirror without attempting conversation. Many stylists get a feel for their client though making conversation, and can adapt a style based on their personality. A sullen, uncommunicative client is much harder to work on than someone you can actually build up a rapport with.

Of course, in a barbershop it's a case of 'come in, sit down, get cut, go', rather than the lengthier process of a hair salon. But still, niceties cost nothing and therefore, why NOT attempt to appear as a decent human being and converse with the person who's providing you a service? Do you feel they are beneath you just because you're paying them?

5. Mathi P profile image59
    Mathi Pposted 7 years ago

Good reply.

Thanks to Ravynsteel

6. RavynSteel profile image80
    RavynSteelposted 7 years ago

Thanks Mathi :-)

It just gets on my nerves when people look down on hair stylists and the like, yet without them we'd all look like wild people living in the jungles!