Polar Reversal

1. Dave Mathews profile image61
    Dave Mathewsposted 4 years ago

Last week, on one of the "Discovery Channel" programs, I watched this story of a man who was collecting a two to three year supply of food and houseware supplies, including gasoline, and guns and ammo and other supplies he thought he would need for one purpose and one purpose only. Heck he was even stocking up on packages of seeds to plant and or to grow, and or to sell.

His one and only purpose? The possibility of "A Polar Reversal".

Doesn't this guy understand, that if such a thing did occur, it would be practically instantaneous, and for mankind it would also be instantly fatal. A Polar Reversal would cause the total incineration of all life, just prior to throwing earth into yet another ice age.

Regardless of where this guy is, where he hid, he could not survive, either he'd become toast immediately or end up a popsicle.

1. twosheds1 profile image60
      twosheds1posted 4 years ago in reply to this

On the contrary, reversals of the Earth's magnetic poles have happened many times in the past, and usually take upwards of 1000 years to take place. There are hypotheses that reversals have caused extinctions in the past, but  these aren't supported by evidence.

Everyone needs a hobby, I guess. I cleaned up on camping gear at yard sales after Y2K.

2. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 4 years ago

I think the wacky weather this year is a result of the northern magnetic pole shifting a little but a complete reversal is unlikely!