jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (18 posts)

Green Lantern relaunched as brave, mighty and gay

1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 4 years ago

Associated PressBy MATT MOORE | Associated Press

PHILADELPHIA (AP) Green Lantern, one of DC Comics' oldest and enduring heroes no matter what parallel earth he's on, is serving as a beacon for the publisher again, this time as a proud, mighty and openly gay hero.

The change is revealed in the pages of the second issue of "Earth 2" out next week, and comes on the heels of what has been an expansive year for gay and lesbian characters in the pages of comic books from Archie to Marvel and others.
    http://news.yahoo.com/green-lantern-rel … 52544.html
    Does anyone care if he is gay? Its been rumored for years that Batman and Robin were roll

1. 0
      Brenda Durhamposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I'm sure the parents of children who like to read comic books, do care.  Actually, any average citizen should care, and probably will care.
      The attempt to mainstream immorality is sad to start with.  The fact that the liberal agenda is gearing this toward impressionable children is unconscienable.

1. mega1 profile image80
        mega1posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Brenda, I know you'll never agree - but I just have to say that homosexuality is NOT immoral - no matter what your skewed biblical system of thought about morality says!  Making judgments about other people's genders IS immoral though, and you should be ashamed!

Oh, and lots of us are raising our children and grandchildren to accept others instead of making unreasonable demands and pointing fingers!  Children should see others show affection - its certainly no worse than pictures of people kissing dogs and other animals!  would you call that "immoral" too?

1. 0

mega1, at first I refrained from replying to your first post, because in it you said you really didn't expect any replies.
          But now that you've tried to chew me out, I'll reply to your first post----

Yes, you need therapy.

1. mega1 profile image80

see, now that just reveals you as a humorless, judgmental person who, imo, has no business telling others how to live! 

I don't think we could find a therapist who would even be willing to take you on, but if there was one, you might find benefit and learn to find some real love in the world!

1. 0

Fear emanating from confusion.  Transference of responsibility, prejudice exhibited in the form of misplaced & misdirected anger.  Denial.

Would you like to schedule a second session?

2. TheMagician profile image88
        TheMagicianposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Brenda, I don't understand you  ---  How could you be so against gay rights and the like? Do you not think that church and state should be seperated? And what about the other sins listed in the bible -- why aren't you out boycotting football, Red Lobster, or Macy's?

Serious questions. I'd like to know.

3. jenb0128 profile image95
        jenb0128posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Nowadays, the average comic book reader is an adult, so most comics are NOT geared for kids anymore.

2. Daughter Of Maat profile image99
      Daughter Of Maatposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Seriously? There are so many more important problems in the world than who sleeps with whom. Who cares? Why does what someone else participates in bother you especially if it doesn't involve you? So two guys have sex in the privacy of their own home, how does that effect you?

The morality we should be promoting is tolerance and acceptance. Morality is completely subjective and can't be mandated and shouldn't be mandated. The government has no business in my bedroom and neither do you.

I don't care what your beliefs are, and I don't care what you do in your bedroom. You shouldn't care what my beliefs are or what I do in my bedroom either.

1. mega1 profile image80

well said!  I fear the same mentality that makes some people think they are "discovering" other lands and are therefore "conquerors" and entitled to everything they can get - makes them think they have the right to legislate what people do in the bedroom, who they marry, and even whether they should be "allowed" to be gay or bisexual.   It is a weird world and I've always known this - but I refuse to let bigots in these forums get away with their outrageousness.  You notice they never answer direct questions unless they can quote their bible - and yes, that is "their" bible - and they can interpret it anyhow they want.  You will also notice that when someone calls these bigots on their bigotness they immediately turn it into a personal issue - i.e. I "need therapy" because I cannot agree with B. Durham's bigotness!  oh how strange is that?

2. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 4 years ago

I have no idea about supergayheroes - but have you noticed this morning how KINKY the forums are?  Is this a new trend?  Will I have to get re-educated in order to communicate with other hubbers here?  what does BDSM really mean?  or can we not say it? 

and if we have to abbreviate things because we can't really say them, then is this really the right place to be discussing these things?

Am I a fuddy-duddy? 

Should gender realities really be debated as if there was anything anyone can do about the subject?  That's what is so strange to me.  That we discuss sexuality preference like its something we should all decide on rather than just a fact of life!!  I still get a thrill out of seeing same sex couples kiss.  Does that mean I am bi or something?  I don't think so, but maybe.   I get a thrill out of a lot of things I don't do myself - do I need therapy?

BTW  I don't really expect answers, just like I bet no one really expects answers to this thread's question!

3. sabrebIade profile image85
    sabrebIadeposted 4 years ago

Actually I think they copped out.
    Their MAJOR character is the original GL, not Hal Jordan and really I dont even think it's the original GL since they rebooted everything.
    The original GL should be in his 90s...at least.
    I was hoping for Wonder Woman.
    I mean c'mon, she grew up on Paradise Island surrounded by drop dead gorgeous, athletic, intelligent, kind, loving women and not a single man in sight.
    They were all celibate?
    For thousands of years?
    WW being a lesbian would make a lot more sense to me.
    And she's one of the big three.
    DC could actually say they did something.

4. psycheskinner profile image81
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

And I see no issue at all with gay characters in comics.

5. Len Cannon profile image89
    Len Cannonposted 4 years ago

Oh man, DO let me get started! 

This isn't the Green Lantern we're familiar with from the cartoons and comics. In fact, he's pretty much entirely different from the one we saw in the Ryan Reynolds film this year.  He's not a space-cop, in fact he's pretty closely tied to earth.  His powers are magic instead of sci-fi.  He was popular in the Golden Age (30s to late 40s) and fell by the wayside.  He's been popular among comicbook fans as a founding member of the JSA, the elder statesmen of the DCU. However, he hasn't had much traction as a recognizable character for casual readers who grew up with Superfriends and stuff like that. 

However, this is a rebooted version of the universe where he's not continuity with the current heroes.  He won't be hanging out with Batman or Superman because they're all dead on "Earth 2" where he now resides.

It is a lot less of a big deal to have an also-ran Green Lantern (not even one of the FOUR major ones) be gay.  It would be nice if the MAIN DC books had a homosexual male character that wasn't a teenager. I suppose the 70s Starman is still in continuity, but... we'll see if he shows up.

ANYWAYS, if they were really brave, they would have had The Flash or Robin be rebooted as an LGBT character but whatever. James Robinson is one of the best writers in comics today. He's going to tell a really great story.

EDIT: ANYWAYS, no matter what ya'll think this is good news for me. Because I wrote an article on here about gay superheroes. SEARCH ON GOOGLE FOR THAT NOW, AMERICA. YES. COME TO ME.

6. Len Cannon profile image89
    Len Cannonposted 4 years ago

Also, laugh out loud if you think kids are the ones reading comics these days.

7. TheMagician profile image88
    TheMagicianposted 4 years ago

I heard about DC completely rebooting and restarting the whole series for the newer generation of comic book readers (I wonder if I fit into this generation since I'm 18 which is still young, but whatever).

Personally I think it's great -- obviously if they were taking the original Green Lantern and turning him into a gay dude, things would be not so cool because, well, Green Lantern has a LONG history! But with this new one? I think it's a great idea. (1) it'll help give GLBT children and individuals something to connect with more, and (2) it's progressive... oh, and (3) it's just interesting! I'll definitely be keeping tabs on this new DC reboot, can't wait to see the new stories and how much things are different smile

Any true comic fan will always know to start from the absolute beginning, or the original comic series, so my worries of Green Lantern being known as strictly as a gay guy 20 years from now really aren't there.

Case in point, bravo DC Comics for being progressive and not afraid to take chances! I was never too much into DC (more of a Marvel fan myself), but just because of this, I will give it another try smile

EDIT: When I say "original" I mean any of the GL's from the original DC world, and not the reboot.

8. Greekgeek profile image97
    Greekgeekposted 4 years ago

I have to admit, my own feeling is, "Okay, stop treating this coming out business like interracial marriage in 'Look Who's Coming to Dinner!' Marketing ploys to generate buzz cheapen the whole thing."

But the artwork makes me smile, so I take it back. It's fine. Good for them.

My favorite image expressing the whole "whoa, he's gay!" schtick is my memory of a wholesome-looking young man in springsteen jeans and white undershirt sitting on the steps of the Capitol (this was a loooooong time ago, March on Washington in 1993), an apple-cheeked all-American lad holding a sign saying, "But Mom, he IS the right guy for me!"

Or something to that effect. I can't explain it. He just exuded "good kid" vibes.

I can't understand why some people get all threatened and feel the need to psychoanalyze and insult others for failing to find this threatening.

But as for my gay superheroes, I'll read Wonder City Stories, thanks. It's got people of color who aren't just "token black person in yellow spandex" and *gasp* OLDER people, even heavy people, as part of the tapestry of society, and they're... real, in a way that superhero comics generally aren't. That is, "Assume that people with superpowers existed. What would it be like? Who would take out the trash? How do they pay the bills?" and so on.

(I wanna be Flo the waitress at the local diner who can make you the perfect cuppa coffee and shoot water out of her hands. She rocks.)

9. sabrebIade profile image85
    sabrebIadeposted 4 years ago

LOL...thanks a LOT GG!
    I can see already I'm gonna get hooked on Wonder City!