jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (15 posts)

Alcatraz

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image91
    mistyhorizon2003posted 4 years ago

Any other fans of the TV series 'Alcatraz' here? I just saw episode 13, the season one finale tonight after having avidly followed it from the first episode. It finished on a predictably exciting cliffhanger, and I quickly went on to the net to see when I could hope to see the second series. You can only imagine the expletives that I came out with when all the Internet references to the series say that it has been axed by Fox, (most of those Internet posts seeming to indicate the decision has been made in the last week or so. How convenient, just when the UK will have finished watching season 1). I just get so mad when they do this to loyal viewers. The same thing happened with the 'John Doe' series some years back, and even 'Dollhouse' was axed after season 2, although it did at least close the story off at the end, (as opposed to leaving the viewers having effectively 'read' half a book and the finding the end missing as they did with John Doe, and now Alcatraz). I should add I can't say if John Doe or Dollhouse were Fox or not, but whichever company they were with it was still annoying. I just hope to God this does not happen with Nikita at the end of the next series, because this is due back in June, and after watching series one I will be gutted if they did something similar to what they have done with Alcatraz at the end of the new series.

1. Lauryallan profile image88
      Lauryallanposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yeah Misty, I'm in the UK too and I gotta say the cancellation of Alcatraz came as no surprise. I loved the show too, but as soon as I saw it had many layers and you had to actually pay attention to what was going on I knew it wouldn't last. I have noticed more and more over the last couple of years that if the show has a sci-fi/fantasy element, like Alcatraz, and many layers to the plot it's likely to be cancelled; think V, Flashforward, Jericho, Terra Nova and more recently Awake.
      I think the mass American audiences don't seem to like these types of shows as much. I think they just want something in the background that they don't really have to figure out, while they are on their ipad, ipod, laptop or doing something else at the same time. So these types of shows end up having a smaller but very loysl following, but the networks want bigger audiences so they can sell the advertiizing at a premuim.

mistyhorizon2003posted 4 years ago in reply to this

You could be right there, and it is such a shame if it is the case that people have become too lazy to use their minds to concentrate on a plot and just want background 'fluff' to semi-watch and listen to. I still keep hoping Fox will change their minds about Alcatraz and make a second finale season anyway (although I doubt it very much). Even with Dollhouse the company allowed a second season but insisted the plot was wound up within that season rather than making a season 3. I just want closure to the storyline so that everything falls into place and is explained. I would even settle for it being put into a book so I could read the conclusion to it all.

1. Lauryallan profile image88
          Lauryallanposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yeah I completely agree with you. It's the unknown that's the killer. I love trying to figure out the plot and the inter-twined storylines and where they are trying to go. However, we just never got enough from Alcatraz to really get there. We were too close to the beginning of the story.
          I'd love a book of it too. That's a great idea.

I just made the point in my email to Fox and said that at the very least they should allow a second season to wrap the plot up. I pointed out they are showing a complete lack of respect for their viewers and also putting people off watching any new series once they realise they are from Fox in case they get axed suddenly too. Perhaps you could email them as well, it sounds like a good few people will once they read the threads on the Alcatraz Facebook page as the email address for Fox has been posted in a number of them, and those threads are full of people complaining about the series having been axed with no conclusion to the plot. The email address is above in my previous comment if you want to use it too.

2. 0
    Motown2Chitownposted 4 years ago

misty, Fox is notorious for axing the most amazing shows after one season.  My husband and I both loved Alcatraz, but we were fairly certain it wouldn't make it past season one.  I'll cry with you.  smile

Makes me so mad. I think that the next time I see a promising new series previewed I shall check out if it is from Fox, and avoid watching it if it is (just in case). Makes me wonder if that is what everyone else has been doing, hence why Alcatraz has been cancelled, (and without them even having the decency to close off the story properly.)

1. rmr profile image87
        rmrposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It only just ended there? It Premiered here in January, and I think I had heard sometime in February it was going to get the axe. I really liked that one, too. Oh well, at least Burn Notice is coming back next week.

Yes, we usually get these series some time after the US. Right now I am waiting for season 2 of Nikita to start, and that is supposed to be this month some time. I am guessing the US have already seen it. With regards to Alcatraz it is doubly annoying that they even bothered to air it here at all if they knew they were going to cancel it way back in February. If I bought a DVD of a film and found the end missing I would take it back for a refund. If I was then told the end 'did not exist and would not be made', I would be very tempted to go to Trading Standards and report the company for selling such a DVD. Naturally we can't do this over a TV series, but I do feel like I have wasted 13 hours of my life, plus have the frustration of never knowing the full story.

2. 0
        Motown2Chitownposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Honestly, my husband and I have begun to do just that...avoid interesting shows if they turn out to be on Fox.  They did the same with a show we loved - Human Target - after two seasons.  Then we got just one season of Terra Nova.  I think people are really angry about it.  I know I said after House, M.D. was done, Fox was going atop my sh1tlist.

smile

Shame that we can't all get together and write to Fox and point out that this is our intention, trouble is, for it to have any impact thousands of people would need to do it, or at least a petition would need to be in place with thousands of signatures on it. Perhaps if they realised they were also jeopardizing the potential future viewing figures of new shows because people were refusing to start watching them if they were from Fox, (and might therefore end up cancelled without a conclusion,) it might make them a little more considerate to their viewers. Surely it is not in their interests to have a reputation like this, as lost viewers overall dilutes their appeal to advertisers.

1. 0
            Motown2Chitownposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I know it's been happening in the states for years.  Family Guy was canceled after a season or two and enough folks did kick up a fuss that they brought it back.  Firefly was a sci fi series that people adored and they killed that one after one season also.  No one ever picked it back up but it runs in syndication on SyFy now.  I'd be willing to speak up if I thought they'd actually listen.

Well I doubt it will help, but you never know. I just emailed them after getting the email address from a post on the Alcatraz Facebook page. If you want to do the same the email address is: askfox@fox.com

3. diogenes profile image82
    diogenesposted 4 years ago

Hi m'dear...there's always Eastenders! (Ha)
    Get off the telly; the thing's a monster that wastes your time and frazzles your mind.

Get a life!

Bob

lol Bob, that is what the computer is doing to mine. The television is light relief from a computer screen. What else can I do at 03.00am when it is too dark to be outside gardening and I am wide awake. (I used to Sky+ Alcatraz which I why I was watching it so late at night).

working