jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

What is the last name/surname of Queen Elizabeth?

1. moiponetsoka profile image32
    moiponetsokaposted 4 years ago

Just realised that I do not know the last name of the Royal family.

1. CASE1WORKER profile image83
      CASE1WORKERposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Windsor- it was changed during the first world war as  their previous name was Germanic and we were fighting the Germans

1. moiponetsoka profile image32
        moiponetsokaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thanks I had no Ideas.

2. Pauladance.co.uk profile image60
      Pauladance.co.ukposted 4 years ago in reply to this

The Royal Family were originally the House of Hanover.  George V changed this because of the First World War, and took took the more English name of Windsor.  When Elizabeth married Prince Philip Mountbatten his Uncle Lord Louis Mountbatten (he had already changed this from Battenberg) expected that in future the royal family would use this name,but this was not accepted, and they remain Windsor.

2. prettydarkhorse profile image66
    prettydarkhorseposted 4 years ago

And I thought the royals don't have surnames! You learn everyday.

3. lobobrandon profile image81
    lobobrandonposted 4 years ago

Oh I didn't know about Germanic smile Thanks for the info.

4. iantoPF profile image87
    iantoPFposted 4 years ago

This is almost a Hub;
    When queen Anne Stewart died without children the throne should have gone to her brother James. James was Catholic and this was not a popular choice for the English. I say English deliberately. At that time the Scots, Welsh and Irish would have supported him. However, the English Parliament denied him the crown and gave the succession to Anne's' German cousin, George. He was George Augustus of the House of Hanover. Not really a last name, Eurpean monarchs outside Britain used their titles as surnames. The house of Hanover continued until Victoria married another German prince, Albert Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. That became the last name of her children until her Grandson George V. He was king during the first world war when there was high ant-German feeling. All over Europe monarchies were being replaced by republics. To add to it, the Germans developed a plane capable of flying across the Channel and started bombing London. The plane was called the "Gotha" So king George issued a proclamation that the British Crown would relinquish all German titles and hereafter be known as "The House of Windsor"
    When Elizabeth married Philip the Greek He gave up all his Greek titles and changed his last name from the German Battenburg to MountBatten. Elizabeth made a proclamation that the children would still be called Windsor.
    So the full name of the Queen of the British Commonwealth is;
    Elizabeth Alexander Mary Windsor.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image66
      prettydarkhorseposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for that information iantoPF!

2. moiponetsoka profile image32
      moiponetsokaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

wow such drama behind the throne thanks a lot and indeed you learn every day.

5. Wayne K. WIlkins profile image85
    Wayne K. WIlkinsposted 4 years ago

Windsor

working