jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

What's Your Favorite Calvin and Hobbs Strip?

1. Chris Neal profile image83
    Chris Nealposted 5 years ago

Here's mine:

http://calvin-comics.blogspot.com/2009/ … matic.html

I think that Hobbs telling Calvin his ouvre is monochromatic is about the funniest thing I've ever read.

2. Aficionada profile image91
    Aficionadaposted 5 years ago

I adored Calvin and Hobbes, but I haven't read the strip in so long I couldn't tell you which one was my favorite!  Most of the time it was whichever one I was reading at the time.  big_smile

Chris Nealposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yeah, they're all good! I just have a real weakness for the ones where Calvin displays his "artistic" side! cool

1. Aficionada profile image91
        Aficionadaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Are you an artist yourself?  Maybe you relate to those in a way that's different for me.  smile

I have very fond memories of the makeshift sled flying off some sort of makeshift ski slope, just as Calvin decides maybe that wasn't such a good idea after all.  yikes

One reason I love C&H so much is that Calvin's adventures always reminded me of my sons (now grown) and the goofy things they would attempt!

But, come to think of it, my boys have also been artistic in various ways - maybe I should look at Calvin's arty side again with a different eye!

Chris Nealposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Bill Watterson often used the strips with Calving being "artistic" (especially the psychotic snow sculptures) as a chance to comment on the artistic scene, often having Calvin spout verbatim phrases that he'd read in magazines devoted to the art scene. Though no slouch as an artist himself, he had little use for the self-congratulatory double-speak jargon that (as with most in-groups) artists used to talk about their work and place in the world.

working