jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (29 posts)

What actors/actresses are LONG overdue for an Academy Award (Oscar)?

1. KevinTimothy profile image88
    KevinTimothyposted 4 years ago

A couple that comes to mind are Mark Wahlberg and Johnny Depp.  Say what you want about mister Marky Mark but that guy should've won one years ago.  As for Depp, never mind the Kids Choice Awards and his 2008 Golden Globe for Sweeny Todd, he is seriously overdue for an Oscar. 

I'm slowly but surely loosing respect for the Academy but that's another can of worms. 

What are some of your opinions? Who do you think should've already won at least one Oscar?

1. JSChams profile image59
      JSChamsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Gary Oldman although I may be missing one he got a long time ago.
      The man can play anything from Count Dracula to Sirius Black to Commissioner Gordon to Dr.Smith and be utterly and totally believable. One of the best character actors of the past two centuries.

1. Dracula's Wolfy profile image61
        Dracula's Wolfyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Oldman definitely!!

2. Michelle Taylor profile image82
    Michelle Taylorposted 4 years ago

I agree that Johnny Depp and Gary Oldman are very long overdue for an Oscar and I would add Joaquin Phoenix and Leonardo DiCaprio to the list.

3. getitrite profile image80
    getitriteposted 4 years ago

Tom Cruise

1. Uninvited Writer profile image83
      Uninvited Writerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

lol

2. KevinTimothy profile image88
      KevinTimothyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Hate to agree with you here.

3. JSChams profile image59
      JSChamsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Tom Cruise does some pretty good action films.
      My favorite is The Last Samurai...that one maybe but otherwise I eally don't see that much that makes him an Oscar winner.

1. vmartinezwilson profile image84
        vmartinezwilsonposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Tom Cruise is underrated as an actor and that's his own fault, because he often defaults to a particular acting type.  However, the same can be said of Johnny Depp.  He always does the quirky guy with a speech impediment.  But, I still luv him too. 

Tom Cruise should have gotten one for Interview Wtih a Vampire or Magnolia.  He was really pulling from inside on both of those films and really stepped away from his 'type'. 

Johnny Depp should have gotten some sort of nod for Benny and Joon.  I still believe that this is his best performance he's done to date.  He really stretched himself.

2. getitrite profile image80
        getitriteposted 4 years ago in reply to this

What about "Collateral"...?

3. Mighty Mom profile image90
        Mighty Momposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Didn't he get one for "Born on the 4th of July"?

1. Billy Hicks profile image88
          Billy Hicksposted 4 years ago in reply to this

He was nominated that year, but lost to Jeremy Irons.

1. Mighty Mom profile image90

Ah. Thanks for the clarification.

4. MelChi profile image88
    MelChiposted 4 years ago

I'd love to see Ashley Judd wining an award, and perhaps taking on something a little different to what she's known to do - she really is a brilliant actress and could pull off any role.

5. Uninvited Writer profile image83
    Uninvited Writerposted 4 years ago

Kenneth Branagh is long overdue

1. vmartinezwilson profile image84
      vmartinezwilsonposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Indeed.

6. Hunbbel Meer profile image92
    Hunbbel Meerposted 4 years ago

Johnny Depp!

At least his character of Jack Sparrow alone, I mean CAPTAIN Jack Sparrow deserves more than an Oscar! He revolutionized the very way that the character was initially built up.

Yep, blatant robbery w/ Sparrow. Hilarious role.  I thought he was brilliant in The Rum Diary, too.

7. Xenonlit profile image61
    Xenonlitposted 4 years ago

George Clooney and Brad Pitt, Kenneth Branaugh, Johnny Depp, Gary Oldman, come to mind.

Clooney should've been at least NOMINATED for Best Actor in O Brother, Where Art Though, although Crowe and Hanks were for Gladiator and Cast Away that year.

8. Astra Nomik profile image82
    Astra Nomikposted 4 years ago

Samual L. Jackson. Total favorite actor of mine and he got so many nominations. No oscars. Booh.

Jackson for what role?

1. Radikum profile image59
        Radikumposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Obviously "Snakes on a Plane" or as I like to call it, "SOAP."

Of all Samuel L. Jackson's roles you think he's long overdue for an Oscar for Snakes on a Plane? Tell me you're not serious. Decent movie but SO not Oscar worthy in any regard. If anything his role in A Time to Kill was more heartfelt than "SOAP."

1. Radikum profile image59
            Radikumposted 4 years ago in reply to this

joke!

9. Mighty Mom profile image90
    Mighty Momposted 4 years ago

I have come to really like Leonardo DiCaprio. His performance in "Blood Diamond" was incredible.
    I note that Edward Norton hasn't won one either. He is one of the BEST and most versatile actors out there (IMHO).
    American History X, Primal Fear, Fight Club, The Painted Veil.

For actresses, I am shocked that Michelle Pfiefer hasn't won. She has such range, from Witches of Eastwick to Married to the Mob to Sea of Love to Fabulous Baker Boys to A Midsummernight's Dream and more. She's a really good actress.

Wow! Pfiefer really is a forgotten name. I thought she was awesome in What Lies Beneath. Ed Norton is great also; I just don't think he's had enough stand out roles.

1. Mighty Mom profile image90

What Lies Beneath is a creepy, creepy movie. Forgot about that one. And then there's "One Fine Day" a breezy romantic comedy with Clooney.

Julianne Moore is another one. She was fab in Boogie Nights. She was fab in The Kids Are Alright. She totally sucked as the updated Clarice Starling. But I loved her rendition of Sarah Palin in Game Change!

Guess you're right about Edward Norton. Although if you haven't seen Primal Fear you absolutely should. Standout performance!

Moore should have gotten one by now on account of her beauty alone! smile Gotta check for Game Change - never even heard of that one.

working