Marilyn Monroe: 11 Facts You Probably Don't Know
Probably the most famous sex symbol of all times, Marilyn Monroe was in addition a successful actress and a talented singer. Marilyn Monroe's appearance in the first issue of Hugh Hefner's Playboy as the first Playmate helped define the future of glamour photography. Marilyn Monroe's troubled life and apparent suicide, along with her failed relationships with the very high profile men in her life, aroused sympathy and interest amongst her fans and critics alike, no doubt helping to raise Marilyn Monroe's status as a legendary figure.
While the name Marilyn Monroe will be remembered for years to come, it is unclear to many people why. This objective of this lens is to show that Marilyn Monroe truly had it all: brains, sex appeal and talent. Marilyn Monroe was and still is unique and years ahead of her time. If you take a little time to read what is written below, you might come to understand why the legend of Marilyn Monroe lives on. Read the Facts About Marilyn Monroe below and test your knowledge of Marilyn Monroe Facts.
My Story : By Marilyn Monroe - An (Auto)biography of Marilyn Monroe
Was this biography of Marilyn Monroe written by Marilyn? Or By Ben Hecht? This question has taken much of spotlight from what is considered by many to be the best (auto)-biography of Marilyn Monroe. Regardless of which side of the debate you are on, this book is a must for any real fan of Marilyn Monroe
11 Facts You Probably Don't Know About Marilyn Monroe - These Marilyn Monroe Facts just may surprise you
Test your knowledge of Marilyn Monroe By Reading These Marilyn Monroe Facts.
- Marilyn Monroe was brought up by foster parents Albert and Ida Bolender until the age of seven. Marilyn Monroe wrote in her biography that she believed that Albert, her foster father was actually a woman. In total she had 12 sets of foster parents.
- Marilyn spent two years at the Los Angeles Orphans Home Society, also known as Hollygrove, currently known as EMQ located at 815 North El Centro Avenue, Hollywood, California. Hollygrove was closed as an orphanage in 2005, but still functions to help abused children. According to this article in the L.A. Times. "A hallway museum depicts Monroe's stay as well as the long history of the orphanage." While you can read the History Of Hollygrove, strangely no mention is made of Marilyn's stay there. Instead Marilyn is mentioned in this corporate site about EMQ milestones.
See the location of Marilyn's Orphanage On Google Maps.
- Marilyn Monroe's family had a long history of depression. Marilyn's uncle and great-grandfather both committed suicide by hanging. Marilyn Monroe's mother was also forcibly institutionalized due to a breakdown.
- When she was 16, Marilyn Monroe married 21 year old James Dougherty in order to avoid being sent to an orphanage or to yet another foster home. She divorced him when she was 20.
- Marilyn did her famous nude photoshoot in 1947 nearly SIX YEARS BEFORE the photos were used for Playboy's 1953 first edition. the rights to the photos were purchased for $500 by Hugh Hefner and Marilyn Monroe became the first 'Sweetheart of the Month'. Later the name was changed to Playmate of the Month. In 2007 Playboy published 20,000 EXACT replicas of this first edition. Some copies of this republication are still available for purchase for approximately $50.
- Marilyn's great love was probably baseball giant Joe Dimaggio. When they were married, Joe was intensely jealous of the attention showered on Marilyn Monroe by men everywhere. When the "The Seven Year Itch", was filmed in New York, now famous promotional photos were taken on a subway ventilator outside the Trans-Lux Theater on 52nd Street and Lexington Avenue. Joe watched Marilyn's skirt fly up again and again, revealing her white panties before thousands of enthusiastic photographers and fans. Jealous Joe angrily stormed off. Later the couple had a huge fight in the hotel. Two weeks later they separated and eventually divorced.
- After their divorce, Joe Dimaggio rescued Marilyn Monroe from forced institutionalization at the Payne Whitney Psychiatric Clinic (67th Street and York Avenue, NY City). For 20 years after her death he had a dozen red roses delivered to her crypt three times a week. He never remarried. It is claimed that Joe's last words were: "I'll finally get to see Marilyn"
- The FBI compiled a 34 page file on Marilyn Monroe, much of which hints that she was a communist sympathizer. Included are a visa application to visit the USSR as well as her relationships with people that the FBI believed were communist sympathizers. You can review:
- Marilyn Monroe was a NOT a dumb blond bimbo. She was a savvy business woman. Fox, the movie studio she had a contract with was forcing her to do stupid, low level films that she hated. Marilyn Monroe broke her contract and fled Hollywood to study acting with Lee Strasberg at the Actors Studio in New York. She set up her own production company, Marilyn Monroe Productions. She was such a huge box office draw, Fox agreed to her terms, giving Marilyn Monroe approval of the director as well as the option to act in other studios' projects. The first film under the new contract was Bus Stop, for which she received critical acclaim and was nominated for a Golden Globe.
- Over 40 years after her death Forbes.com compiled a survey titled "Highest-Earning Dead Celebrities," which compared the money the celebrities' estates earn annually from sales.
See the article showing that Marilyn Monroe ranked 9th as the only woman on the list.
- Hugh Hefner owns the burial vault next to Marilyn Monroe at Westwood Memorial Park, Los Angeles, California and intends to be buried there. Click to see the location of this cemetery in Google Maps
- Marilyn only owned one home and it was located in Brentwood, California. This is the place where Marilyn died on August 4, 1962. Click to see the location of Marylin's House in Google Maps.
Playboy; 1st Reprint edition (2007) - Get an EXACT duplicate of the original Marilyn Playboy First Edition
Did you know that you can buy an exact reproduction of the first edition of Playboy that featured Marilyn Monroe? In 2007 20,000 single copies of this reproduction were published and these can still be purchased via Amazon.
Read this review from a fan who had a real original as she compares the difference between what she owns and one of the republished 20,000. Unfortunately, these reprints made her expensive copy almost worthless..
A Sexy 27 Year Old Marilyn Sings "Diamonds Are a Girls Best Friend"
From the movie: Gentlemen Prefer Blondes,
Posters And Photos Of Marilyn Monroe - Fact: Marilyn Monroe Was A Beautiful Model As Well As A Talented Actress
Famous Marilyn Monroe Upskirt Poster
Marilyn's Sad Childhood
Marilyn Monroe Fact: Marilyn Had A Sister
Marilyn was born Norma Jeane Mortenson in the charity ward of the Los Angeles County Hospital on 1 June 1926. Her grandmother, Della Monroe Grainger, had her baptized Norma Jeane Baker. Her mother was Gladys Pearl Monroe. For many years it was believed that Gladys's second husband Martin Edward Mortenson was Marilyn's father and name is even listed on her birth certificate. However Marilyn herself believed a salesman named Charles Stanley Gifford was her father. In either case, she had no father figure in the practical sense.
Her mother placed her with foster parents Albert and Ida Bolender of Hawthorne, California, where she lived until she was seven.
Gladys returned to the picture when she bought a house and reunited with Marilyn. But a few months after they had moved in, Gladys suffered a breakdown and was forcibly removed to the State Hospital in Norwalk.
Marilyn had a half-sister, Berniece Baker Miracle. The girls did not learn of each other until Berniece was 19 and Norma Jeane 12. But once each did discover the existence of the other, they stayed in close contact--both before and after Norma Jeane became Marilyn. Bernice wrote a biography called "My Sister Marilyn" which was published in 1994 to critical acclaim. Marilyn left $10,000 to Bernice in her will.
Her mother's best friend, Grace McKee (later Grace Goddard) became her guardian. But after McKee married in 1935, Norma Jeane was sent to the Los Angeles Orphans Home (later renamed Hollygrove), and then to a succession of foster homes. Her foster sister Eleanor 'Bebe' Goddard became notorious for manufacturing and selling fake Marilyn memorabilia.
James Dougherty a 21 neighbor of Marilyn's married her weeks after she turned 16, so that Norma Jeane could escape the life of orphanages and foster homes.
Caution: Do NOT click the link below - If you are offended by topless photo of Marilyn Monroe do not click below
Bert Stern did the last known photoshoot with Marilyn Monroe only six weeks before her death. This masterpiece, called "The Last Sitting" includes over 2,500 photos including many now famous nude photos of Marylin Monroe.
Forty five years later, Stern did similar nudes of Lindsay Lohan, which were very controversial. Photos from both of Bert Sterns now famous photoshoots were published in New York Magazine. CAUTION: DO NOT CLICK IF YOU ARE OFFENDED BY NUDITY
Marilyn Monroe Versus Lindsay Lohan - How Do They Compare?
Lindsay Lohan has compared herself to Marilyn Monroe, not only by recreating Marilyn's famous last nude photoshoot with photographer Bert Stern (see the book above), but also by comparing their personalities and their infamy. See the Huffington Post Article: Lindsay Lohan Compares Herself To Marilyn Monroe.
How do you think Lindsay Lohan compares to Marilyn Monroe?
Fragments: Poems, Intimate Notes, Letters - A Marilyn Monroe Scrapbook
This is a sort of scrapbook from Marilyn Monroe. It contains her notes, poems, letters and photos. Not really a book but rather an assortment of pieces of "Fragments" from her life.
This famous promotional photo for 'Seven Year Itch' sparked a HUGE fight with husband Joe Dimaggio.
Going to a party dressed as Marilyn Monroe? - Get the famous white dress that Marilyn Monroe wore.
You can buy the white dress worn by Marilyn Monroe by clicking a photo below.
Marilyn Monroe Special Anniversary Collection - Marilyn Monroe Facts: This is one of the most popular Marilyn Monroe DVDs on Amazon
Five Marilyn Monroe films plus the documentary "The Final Days" makes this DVD EXTREMELY popular on Amazon. Check out the Amazon reviews and see for yourself.
Buy and/or Vote For Your Favorite Marilyn Monroe Movie. - Which is YOUR favorite Marilyn Monroe Movie?
To Vote, just click on the up or down arrows below.
To Buy a DVD, click on the orange link below.
A Nude Marilyn Monroe in a Pool Scene - Marilyn Monroe Facts : Marilyn Did A Nude Photosession not long before she died
This movie was scandalous for two reasons:
* Due to her frequent absences, Marilyn Monroe was fired from the movie on June 8, 1962. Fox later tried to rehire Marilyn, and she agreed. However, she died less than 2 months later and the movie was never finished, losing $2 million for Fox, at that time a very costly loss for a movie studio.
* Second, Marilyn Monroe did something no other Hollywood star had done before. She swam around in only a flesh-colored bikini bottom and did a photosession for journalist without the bikini bottom. This film documents Marilyn's beauty and sensuality even in the last years of her life.
My Favorite Marilyn Monroe Quotes
Marilyn Monroe Facts: Marilyn Made Several Intelligent Quotes
These quotes say so much about this remarkable lady. While some say she was nothing but a bimbo who used her looks to achieve stardom, these thoughts show that Marilyn Monroe was much more than meets the eye.If I'd observed all the rules, I'd never have got anywhere. A career is wonderful thing, but you can't snuggle up to it on a cold night. What good is it being Marilyn Monroe? Why can't I just be an ordinary woman? A woman who can have a family ... I'd settle for just one baby. My own baby. Hollywood is a place where they'll pay you a thousand dollars for a kiss and fifty cents for your soul. My illusions didn't have anything to do with being a fine actress. I knew how third rate I was. I could actually feel my lack of talent, as if it were cheap clothes I was wearing inside. But, my God, how I wanted to learn, to change, to improve! If I play a stupid girl and ask a stupid question I've got to follow it through. What am I supposed to do - look intelligent? Shelley Winters: If she'd been dumber, she'd have been happier.
Read MORE Quotes from Marilyn Monroe!
Marilyn SINGS! - Marilyn Monroe Facts: Mariln Was A Talented Singer
This was one of Marilyn Monroe's classic album. A must for any true Marilyn Fan!
Marilyn sings classics such as "My Heart Belongs to Daddy", When I Fall In Love, Happy Birthday Mr President and others. Features 16 tracks!
Candle in the Wind by Elton John and Bernie Taupin
Elton John Sings About Marilyn Monroe
The original version of Candle in the Wind was from Elton John's "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" album of 1973. The lyrics as can be seen below are about Marilyn Monroe who was born as Norma Jean:
Goodbye Norma Jean
Though I never knew you at all
You had the grace to hold yourself
While those around you crawled
They crawled out of the woodwork
And they whispered into your brain
They set you on the treadmill
And they made you change your name
And it seems to me you lived your life
Like a candle in the wind
Never knowing who to cling to
When the rain set in
And I would have liked to have known you
But I was just a kid
Your candle burned out long before
Your legend ever did
Loneliness was tough
The toughest role you ever played
Hollywood created a superstar
And pain was the price you paid
Even when you died
Oh the press still hounded you
All the papers had to say
Was that Marilyn was found in the nude
Goodbye Norma Jean
From the young man in the 22nd row
Who sees you as something as more than sexual
More than just our Marilyn Monroe
Candle In the Wind: Buy it!
This is, in my opinion, the best album that Elton John ever made. Just about every song is amazing. This album set up Elton's career. He made good music afterwards, but NOTHING compared to this album. Every Elton John fan should have it.
Which Side Are You On? - What Do You Think Are The Facts About Marilyn Monroe?
Some say Marilyn Monroe was a drug using Bimbo, others believe that Marilyn Monroe was a legend and one of the most amazing leading lady's to grace Hollywood. What is your opinon about Marilyn Monroe?
What Do You Think About Marilyn Monroe?
Marilyn Monroe is overrated
No comments yet.
The Mystery Surrounding the Death of Marilyn Monroe
Marilyn Monroe Facts: Marilyn's Death Is A Mystery.
The circumstances of her death remain to this day controversial, a mystery which will likely never be solved.
The body of Marilyn Monroe was found in the bedroom of her Brentwood, California home by her live-in housekeeper Eunice Murray on August 5, 1962. Marilyn Monroe was 36 years old at the time of her death.
Her death was ruled to be "acute barbiturate poisoning" by Dr. Thomas Noguchi of the Los Angeles County Coroners office and listed as "probably suicide", but because of a lack of evidence, her death was not classified as "suicide".
However, there is much mystery and speculation surrounding her untimely death. There are many who believe that Marilyn Monroe was murdered.
Several people stated they observed Marilyn Monroe being secretly taken that night by ambulance to a nearby hospital before being returned again to her Brentwood home. Some claimed that Marilyn's body was then 'rediscovered' by Eunice Murray, and her psychiatrist several hours following the initial discovery of her body.
It was widely speculated that Marilyn Monroe had an affair with both Bobby and John Kennedy and that she was becoming very demanding, calling the white house very frequently. Many speculate that she was murdered to avoid an embarrassing scandal. Peter Lawford, an in-law of the Kennedys reportedly the last person to speak to her, was quoted that her final words were "Say goodbye to Pat (Lawford's wife), say goodbye to the president, and say goodbye to yourself, because you're a nice guy."
Jack Clemmons was the first police officer to arrive on the scene. He reported, "Marilyn was lying face down in what I call the soldier's position. Her hands were by her side and her legs were stretched out perfectly straight. It was the most obviously staged death scene I have ever seen. The pill bottles on her bedside table had been arranged in neat order and the body deliberately positioned. It all looked too tidy."
There is an interesting timeline of events which outline the known facts of the day of Marilyn Monroe's death.
In 2006 CBS News reported about "newly released documents and audiotapes about the night Marilyn died" in which the facts surrounding Marylin Monroe's death were detailed in an article called The Marilyn Tapes.
It is unlikely that the cause of Marilyn Monroe 's death will ever be solved.
What Do You Think About The Death Of Marilyn Monroe - Marilyn Monroe Facts: What Do You Believe?
Do You Have A Theory About How Marilyn Monroe Died? Was it murder? Suicide? An Accident?
What Do You Think Was The Cause Of Death Of Marilyn MonroeSee results without voting
An interview with Susan Strassberg Reveals Many Facts About Marilyn Monroe - Author of "Marilyn & Me: Sisters, Rivals, Friends".
An interview with Susan Strassberg the daughter of legendary actor and teacher Lee Strasberg. Strasberg is the author of "Marilyn & Me: Sisters, Rivals, Friends". Lea Strasberg was Marilyn's acting coach. Susan was a close friend.
This is what differentiates her book from other biographies. Most biographers did not actually know Marilyn Monroe, but based their writing on reseach. However, Susan based her book on her many conversations with Marilyn Monroe.
Marilyn & Me: Sisters, Rivals, Friends (Paperback) - Susan Strassbergs Biography is full of Marilyn Monroe Facts
When Marilyn Monroe was 29 she shared a bedroom with a Susan Strasberg, the daughter of her acting coach Less Strassburg. Susan reveals many Marilyn Monroe Facts in this detailed biography of Marilyn Monroe.
Marilyn Monroe Sings Happy Birthday To John Kennedy - Marilyn Monroe Facts: This Song Riveted The World
Marilyn sang this song on May 19, 1962. She died less than three months later on August 5, 1962. This video was one of her last public appearances. Also, there were many rumors that Marilyn Monroe and JFK were having an affair at the time she sang this song, which gives this song even more meaning.
Things To Do
1.Email this Page
2.Create A Page (Its Easy)
3.Bookmark This Page
How many of the Marilyn Monroe Facts did you know?
More by this Author
Cheaper prices than Amazon and free shipping too? Is there a catch? No. There are several quality sites which offer cheaper prices than Amazon and FREE Shipping (or very inexpensive shipping). Below you will find a...
Did you really think that the G String was the smallest thong around? Time to meet the C String. The C-String is a completely new and exciting innovation in lingerie, with no waist band to show under skirts, pants and...
Featuring adult footed pajamas from the top manufactures. Come here to see the widest assortment of footed pajamas for adults on the market.