Kindergarten - 10 Reasons to Send Your Child
There has always been much debate about kindergarten. Will my child be safe? What will she learn? How will he get along with others? Is the teacher qualified? Ten reasons to send a child to kindergarten are included here.
In some states kindergarten is mandatory and in others, voluntary. If it's not mandatory, there are a few things to consider. Above all, parents know their children best. Don't cave in to pressure to do what you do or don't feel is right for your child.
1. Separation from parents and siblings can be a good thing. While the family unit is the most important in a child's life, learning how to interact with others can help with a child's maturity and growth.
2. Children are able to associate with peers in their own age group by sharing, taking turns and listening to opinions other than their own. This is particularly true for "onlies," or children without siblings.
3. It is valuable for children to view another adult as an authority figure, as there will many of these relationships throughout their lives.
4. For a variety of reasons, there may not be a lot of mental stimulation at home. The parents may work a lot and have little or no time to work on skills like letter and number recognition, listening to stories read aloud, etc.
5. Kindergarten is an opportunity for a child to develop individuality and autonomy.
6. Kindergarten is fun! There are many experiences including learning and play.
7. One benefit for parents is time apart from the child. Developing and maintaining one's own interests apart from children is healthy and entertaining.
8. Learning so many things in kindergarten that may not be available at home like academics, art, music, individual and group games.
9. A child's friends may be attending. There is strength in numbers even if they're not in the same class. They have shared experiences.
10. The child may want to go.
What do you think? Vote in the poll below.
Do you think kindergarten should be mandatory for all children?See results without voting
More by this Author
As a high school band parent, I have read about and observed firsthand that there are numerous benefits to being a part of the high school band.
There are so many things to do in the Pigeon Forge, Tennessee, area. There quite a few indoor attractions if the weather doesn't permit doing the outdoor ones. Here are my favorites.
Camping in the Southeast United States offers a variety of experiences, from the beach to mountains. Here are six favorites.