10 Things to Do Before Going Back to School
As the back to school countdown begins, don't forget to enjoy your summer to the max! With only about a month left, there is still plenty of time to get these last ten things done for you head back to the grind of everyday life!
10. Clean out the toy box! This is a great time to teach your children about giving back. As you go through toys, give your child a rule of thumb for donating such as "keep 3, give 1 away" and stick to it. Let the kids be a part of the donation process as well, this will help create a lasting habit!
9. Make a meal together! Don't just enjoy the meal with your kids, but enjoy the preparation time as well. There are a variety of easy-to-fix meals that can get everyone involved. Easy ideas are smiley face pancakes, pigs in a blanket, or even pre-made cookies!
8. Visit a museum or park! Whether you find one in your town, take a day trip, or take a whole weekend, take the time to look at the world through your child's eyes! At the end of the day, you might have more fun than your kids!
7. Check with local churches to find out about Vacation Bible School! A few quite hours to help you maintain your sanity these last few weeks, while your kids have a great time! A great place to connect for both you and your child.
6. Visit your local library! A love for reading begins at an early age and its not too late to catch summer reading programs. This a great chance to find other parents with children the same age as yours, as well as a great opportunity for your child to interact with others while enjoying good books!
5. Review the wardrobe! This is a great time to have the kids try the clothes on rather than having to guess whether or not something fits! Not only will this allow you to determine your upcoming fall needs, but also provides an opportunity to donate to someone who can use the clothes!
4. Catch a summer movie! Whether you visit the theater, race to the drive-in, or just have a family movie night at home, find a movie the whole family will love. Don't forget that popcorn is an important part of any movie experience!
3. Get up off the couch! Check for local summer camps (volleyball, football, cheer, basketball, ect.), take a walk, or visit an indoor play place! Although schools are not in session, the local board office will still be running and can give dates and contact information for any summer camps that haven't occurred yet. Take a walk around the yard or at your local walking track. While you're out there, you might even start a game of tag! Also keep in mind, lot of indoor play places have specials on specific days of the week. You can relax or surf the web while your kids stay active!
2. Enjoy the back to school shopping madness! Make a day out of it and enjoy one of your last outings of the summer. Be sure you've found your child's school supply list (many available on-line) and know what wardrobe updates are needed before you head out to avoid over spending! Let the kids choose where you have lunch while you take a short break. By making a one day trip, the stress won't have a chance to build up!
1. Enjoy a slumber party! Devote one evening and late night to a fun time with the kids! Maybe a roasting hot dogs and eating s'mores, a late night swim, or a game night with the family! This will be a great break for everyone in the family!
Regardless of how you spend the last few weeks, be sure you take the time to enjoy your kids! The school year will fly by and you'll be counting down the days until summer break before you know it!
More by this Author
As my husband's second wife, I never once considered the thoughts and feelings of his ex-wife. Rather, I was enjoying my new marriage and family! It wasn't until I was on the flip side of the situation that I truly...