100 Kid Friendly DVDs
I was just reading the Feb/March 2013 issue of Scholastic's Parent & Child magazine. There is a list of 100 greatest movies for kids. Which is all well and good. Except some of the movies on the list are PG and PG-13.
PG ... Parental Guidance anyone? To me parental guidance means to check something out to deem if it is appropriate for your child. However I seem to be in the minority on this topic. Because for many parents it means to take your child and ignore when a curse word comes out of a beloved character's mouth (many), when a talking dog says something extremely naughty but as a play on words (Rugrats Meet The Thornberrys) or when a character suddenly dresses in drag as a sight gag (The Spongebob Squarepants Movie).
I took a chance recently on some of the DC Universe animated films that have been produced for home video. My 9 year old loves superheroes, particularly the DC heroes. But Superman/Batman: Public Enemies isn't Superman The Animated Series. Superman/ Batman Apocalypse isn't Batman The Animated Series. Just like Justice League: Doom isn't Justice League Unlimited. Some of the same voices, but these new fangled versions of our favorite heroes tend to curse and in the case of the Wonder Woman straight-to-video, actually kill.
I suppose the creators of these straight to video offerings aren't necessarily trying to appeal to the same demographics as they were with their television offerings. However, for at least 60 years, when a kid sees Batman and Superman, he wants Batman and Superman, not realizing that a certain Justice League video game will feature Superman threatening to kick Darkseid's a**. Not cool.
In fact, it is pretty distressing as a parent of a 9 and 5 year old to be halfway through a movie only to have a criminal call a heroine a b**ch out of the blue. Talk about being blindsided. Even in such heartwarming films like Akeelah & The Bee or Karate Kid (JAYDEN SMITH version) where the films are perfect until out of the blue a character utters an unnecessary profanity.
Back To The Future and Big are on the Scholastic list. Good movies. But do I want to explain to my boys why Marty's mom is trying to get romantic with him? Or why TOM HANKS' character is grinning so hard after spending the night with his female co-worker? Not really.
With that in mind, here's my list of 100 DVDs that could be essential for your child's media library. I mean ... School of Rock starring JACK BLACK? Really Scholastic?
1. Blue's Big Musical Movie
3. Lady & The Tramp
4. Toy Story (1,2,3)
5. Finding Nemo
6. Lion King (1,2)
8. Monsters Inc.
9. Jo Jo's Circus: Animal A Go-Go
10. Mickey Mouse's Clubhouse (any
11. Superman The Animated Series Season 1
12. Justice League: The Complete Series
13. X-Men: Volume One (Marvel DVD Comic Book Collection)
14. X-Men Evolution
15. Rugrats The Movie
16. Rugrats In Paris
17. Recess: School's Out
18. Doug Season 1
19. Batman Beyond Season 1
20. Batman The Brave & The Bold
21. Saved By The Bell Season 1&2
22. Fat Albert's Greatest Hits, The Ultimate Collection
23. Kim Possible, The Secret Files
24. The Best Of He-Man & The Masters of The Universe
25. Johnny Test, Super Smarty Pants
26. Leave It To Beaver, The Complete Series
27. The Andy Griffith Show Season 1
28. Dennis The Menace, Season 1
29. She-Ra: The Complete Series
30. Little House On The Prairie, Season 1
31. The Cosby Show, Season 2
32. Word Girl: The Rise Of Miss Power
33. Polly: The Wonderful World of Disney
34. Rodger's and Hammerstein's Cinderella
35. Duck Tales - Volume 1
36. Animaniacs, Volume 1
37. Tiny Toon Adventures, Season 1, Volume 1
38. Tom & Jerry Tales: The Complete First Season
39. Baby Looney Tunes, Volume 1
40. Bobby's World, Season 1
41. Nick Jr. Favorites
42. Superboy, The Complete First Season
43. Strong Kids, Safe Kids (VHS only but a very important video)
45. Veggie Tales : It's A Meaningful Life
46. Pistachio, The Little Boy That Woodn't
47. The Smurfs, A Magical Smurf Adventure
48. Scooby Doo And The Alien Invaders
49. Blues Clues: Get To Know Joe
50. Snoopy Come Home
51. (Walt Disney) Beauty & The Beast
52. The Brady Bunch, The Complete Series
53. The Partridge Family, The Complete Series
54. The Monkees, Season 1
55. Classic Comedy TV DVD Starter Set: I Dream of Jeannie / Bewitched / Gidget / The Partridge Family
56. Saturday Morning Cartoons: 1970s Volume 1
57. Magilla Gorilla, The Complete Series
58. Thundarr The Barbarian
59. Saturday Morning Cartoons: 1960s
60. Saturady Morning Cartoons: 1980s
61. Mr. T., The Complete First Season
62. Underdog, The Complete Series
63. Best of Warner Brothers Cartoon Collection
64. (Hanna-Barbera) The Dukes
65. Disney Presents: Life-Size
67. Ordinary Guy
68. Fury To Freedom
71. A Bug's Life
73. Schoolhouse Rock (series)
74. Archie's Weird Mysteries
75. The Fox And The Hound
76. Davey & Goliath
77. Dragon Tales: Believe In Yourself
78. The Best Of The Electric Company
79. Sesame Street: Old School (Vol 1,2)
80. Liberty's Kids, The Complete Series
81. The Honeymooners, Classic 39 Episodes
82. The Little Rascals, The Complete Collection
83. Seventeen Again
85. Let It Shine
86. Jump In
87. Twitches Too
88. Read It And Weep
89. The Cheetah Girls
90. For One Night
91. Little House: Special Movie Box Set
92. Star Trek, The Animated Series
93. Sid & Marty Kroffts Saturday Morning Hits
94. The Beverly Hillbillies, The Official First Season
95. The Munsters, The Complete Series
96. Webster: Season 1
97. Diff'rent Strokes, The Complete First Season
98. Rags To Riches, The Complete Series
99. Small Wonder, The Complete First Season
100. Afterschool Specials '82-'86
TruSoulDJ is a self proclaimed expert on all things trivial to the Mainstream. He is an avid classic comic book reader, non popular music lover and tv-show-on-dvd binge watcher who shops the clearance racks near and far to find the best deals. He would like to think he knows everything important within the realm of Pop culture. But in actuality, he only knows about 99.9 percent of what he thinks he knows.
More by this Author
There's nothing like a good, thoughtful slow jam to mellow you out after a long and stressful day at work. Play and read.
Say what you want naysayers of the world, but with over 75 million records sold worldwide, The Monkees have more than earned the right to be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.
Kima desires to honor God with her sexual choices ... But that darn Antonio Roberts is so charming. Will she let him get in the way of her dream to own her favorite mall?
No comments yet.