List of 20 Free and Fun Family Activities
A family that plays together, stays together...
Fun, free, family activities!
Who doesn't like to have fun? Once again, the kids are complaining that they are bored. They look to you with their adorable smiles and cherub cheeks, pleading with you to entertain them. The parents or grandparents want to oblige, but funds are tight. What do you do?
You ponder some ideas, but they all require cash on the spot. If only there were free activities that would give you all peace of mind. I searched high and low and in between for some ways to entertain the wee ones.
Breaking News: I've uncovered 20 activities and the best part is they are all...FREE!
Please keep in mind that our ideas of "fun" could differ. I believe one could have fun doing just about anything. But, on the flip side the activities should keep everyone out of the emergency room, which is always a bonus!
I strongly believe it's all about being able to spend quality time together with someone you care about. And of course, FREEBIES are a good thing too!
The activities I selected might require some labor, but in the long run you could have fun and make memorable memories.
Free Family Activities....
1. Go for a bike ride on a nature trail. Bring a bag and pick up pine cones along the way for a rainy day craft.
2. Plan a picnic at a park. Push each other on the swings. Slide down the slides. Teeter on a totter. Bring a frisbee! Play catch. A nearby park offers endless possibilities for a good time.
3. Browse the aisles of a Walmart and seek out the customers. By doing so you could teach the kids how not to dress. You, as a responsible parent could also show them how not to behave in public. Kids could also learn why brushing their teeth and bathing is beneficial. And as a bonus, that how using vulgar words can make them seem uneducated. Disclaimer: I shop at Walmart too! This does not apply to all customers. Just a select few. OK, more than a select few.
4. Bake cookies from scratch and have a cookie-eating contest. Winner gets to clean up the mess (have to burn those calories off).
5. Clean the house with the music blaring and everyone dancing. The faster the beat, the more fun it will be. Word of caution: Place collectibles in a safe area.
6. Everybody selects their favorite book and reads together. Or, one person reads a story to all.
7. Dust off all the board games you have accumulated. The winner of the first game gets to choose the next game. Etc, etc. Make a day out of it. Play them indoors or outdoors. In different rooms of the house.
8. Throw on some worn out clothing and panhandle in front of a restaurant. Who knows you might make enough money to treat yourselves to a nice meal. Be sure and bring along your regular clothing in case you decide to dine at the establishment.
9. Have a film day. Make some popcorn, lemonade (adults can spike theirs) and have a movie marathon. Place the movie titles on a piece of paper in a bowl. Youngest gets to select the first movie to watch.
10. Take a drive to the beach. Build a sandcastle, seek for seashells or feed the seagulls. Walk along the seashore and have the waves tickles your toes.
Smiling faces await the fun adventures...
More family fun ideas...
11. Go to the mall and people watch. As someone walks by make up a fictional story about them. Disclaimer: I don't do this! OK, yes I do. Doesn't everyone?
12. Using newspapers build a paper boat and see if it could float. Chances are it will.
13. Cut out photos from magazines and create a collage of a wacky family and then be thankful for the one you have.
14. Go Green: Take a walk through the neighborhood and retrieve the litter.
15. Have a chalk drawing contest on your sidewalks or driveway. Have a tic-tac-toe competition.
16. Raid the freezer and pantry and make ice cream sundaes! Pickles or relish with a dash of ketchup on vanilla ice cream just might be tasty. Disclaimer: I've never tried this but I've heard weirder concoctions from pregnant women!
17. Have a mani/pedi party! Yes, boys/men are included also...I just recommend sticking with clear polish or just a buff.
18. Play a sport together! Basketball, soccer, tennis or even a game of tag.
19. Visit a pet store...the lonely animals will appreciate the attention!
20. Have a scavenger hunt using items found around the house!
*** Have fun and enjoy making memories! Be sure and have a digital camera available so that you could take many photos and upload them for FREE to your computer! ***
Let's Move with Michelle Obama and Beyonce
Did you pick up any new ideas for free, family fun activities?See results without voting
© 2012 Linda Bilyeu
More by this Author
Whether with a game, song, baking, giggling or another clever activity, toddlers rely on adults for entertainment. Here are some activities my family has done and continues to do as our family expands...
A shout-out to girls and their favorite things!
Have you ever received a letter from your Homeowners Association? The letter that notifies you that your lawn isn't green enough or that you left a tricycle on the porch? I have and I thought I'd write them a letter...