5 Reasons to Get Rid of Your Smartphone
Today I broke up with my smartphone.We have had many good times together, but I was beginning to feel smothered, and I did it, I took the plunge.Right now my IPhone sits on EBay and I have resorted to an old texting phone (hey at least it has a keyboard).I will text (minimally I hope) and call.This was the best I could do, getting rid of the phone wasn’t really an option, with two kids that have busy schedules and a husband who works long hours, I needed a phone, partly as security for me.However, I did not need to be constantly attached to the digital world.I realized this last week, as my husband came home from work, I was scrolling through Facebook on my phone, while having a conversation with him.Why I need to scroll through Facebook, I don’t know, maybe a habit?I don’t want to know what everyone else is doing all the time. I want to be in the moment with my husband and my kids.I want my phone to sit in the glove box of my car while I have meaningful conversations with my friends and family. I want to live in the NOW.So I did it.I took the plunge.Sure I may have withdrawals.Almost like any addict would experience, but I will survive, and most likely thrive without my smartphone.
Do you REALLY need it?
Sure it isn’t for everyone, but I found no reason for myself, a stay at home mom with a computer in my home, to have a smartphone follow me around everywhere I went.I don’t need to check my email 5-10 times a day.I don’t need to instantly respond to a Facebook status update. I don’t need any of it.I do admit that the camera on the phone will be missed, but I threw my pocket camera in my purse and I no longer feel that I will miss important moments, because I will witness them without looking at my phone.
5 signs maybe you should get rid of your Smartphone too!
- It is taking over your life.You find yourself mindlessly checking for social updates or scrolling through your email to kill time.I can guarantee you there are much better ways to kill time.Read a book, play with your kids, or take a walk.
- Your children have noticed you are on your phone a lot.If you find yourself checking your Facebook in between story time, bath time, game time, or any time with your kids, maybe you need a break from the digital world so that you can enjoy the REAL world.
- You don’t use it for work.
- You get a sick feeling if you don’t have it, you may be addicted, and I’m sure there is a group for this! Smartphone Addicts Anonymous?
- Your spouse feels he has to compete with your phone for your attention.This is actually a legitimate complaint from many spouses.With the busy lives that we lead with work and kids, time together is rare and more important than ever. If you find yourself looking at your phone while trying to spend time with your spouse, get rid of it..or at least turn it off.
Letting go and giving yourself some freedom.
This digital world that we live it has made things easier in many ways, but for some of us, myself included the smartphone can inhibit our ability to really ‘be’ in the moment.IF you aren’t ready to take the plunge and let go of your little digital attention demanding device…turn it off during the important moments in your life. And free yourself a little.
How often do you check your phone each day?See results without voting
- How to Let Go of Your Negative Friendships
Letting Go of the Negative People in Your Life A couple years ago I ended up in a friendship that took a negative toll on my life. This person wasn’t a bad person, but for some reason the two of us just couldn’t find enough in common to...
- 5 Things Found in a Healthy Marriage
About one year after my husband and I had our first child we went through a very rough patch in our marriage. The word divorce was mentioned more than once, and friends and family all braced themselves for what they thought was the end of our...
More by this Author
Discover your child's gifts and talents at an early age.
One of the hardest decisions you will ever have to make is when and if to return to work after being a Stay-at-home-mom. Luckily, you are not alone. Many woman have gone through it.....
The 25 Best Christmas quotes of all time!