9 Life Lessons to Teach Your Children
What I Want to Teach My Kids
I have been blessed with amazing children. It seems that lately they are growing up faster and faster and I have been reflecting on the things that I want to teach them. The list I created won’t take until they are 18, it will take a lifetime. Some of these lessons they will probably learn the hard way, with a broken heart, but you can bet I will be there with a shoulder when they need a place to cry.
1. Most things worth fighting for require fighting. Whether it's a relationship, your career, or your convictions, most things you strongly desire, and believe in, will require your strength and courage.
2.Forgiveness is very powerful. When you forgive you are letting go, whether it is a friend, spouse, boss or acquaintance; people will do you wrong, just as you will them. Forgive them and let it go and move on with your life. This doesn’t mean that you have to embrace them and be their best friend, it just means that you can let go of what was done and move on. Forgiveness is not only a gift to them but a gift to yourself, who wants to live life with hatred in their heart? It’s too short and too precious.
3. Stand up for yourself. There will be times when you will feel all alone, although as a mother, I hope that you never do. You may feel alone in your convictions; you may feel pressured to do things that you don’t believe in. Call on that inner strength and believe in who are and stand up for yourself.
4. Smile as often as you can. It is true about smiles, they can work magic, and they can turn cold hearts into warm hearts. Smile at a stranger, a friend, and a family member. Use your smile to warm your own life by surrounding yourself with kind people and people who will smile back. It is a small gesture but it can define who you are and make a huge difference in how the world sees you.
5. Nothing is permanent. There are times in your life where you will feel stuck, like the decision that you have made or the situation you are in may seem endless. It is not, if there is one thing I can guarantee you in life it is that nothing ever stays the same.
6. Surround yourself with people that love you. There are times when you will need people to lean on, create loving lasting friendships (this includes your family) and nurture them. Support your friends and family in their times of need. Take time out of your day and lend them a hand, and they will be there for you when you need them.
7. Never stop dreaming. Keep a journal full of things you want to do and be. You may be 10, 20 or 70 years old but keep that list alive and going. There is always another thing to hope for and work for it is what makes our world go around.
8. Enjoy the journey. It is always the journey that is the most enjoyable part of most things. You may reach your destination but once you look back in the journey you will find that is where the lessons were learned, the strength was given and the real joy was found.
9. You are so strong. As your mother, I hope that you never have to call on all the strength I know you have. We are stronger than we think, things may sometimes look bleak and hopeless, but I guarantee that someone has it worse and they are trudging through. It is important to know that you have the ability to make it through almost anything, it may feel as if you are broken but you are not. With a little love and faith you can make it and I hope someday you give yourself credit for the strength that you have.
- Teach Your Children to Love Each Other
We teach our children many things but I think one of the hardest lessons to teach our kids is how to love and embrace their siblings.
- How to Be More Involved with Your Kids
With such busy lives many times moms start to feel disconnected from their kids. Here are seven ways to reconnect with your kids.
More by this Author
Discover your child's gifts and talents at an early age.
One of the hardest decisions you will ever have to make is when and if to return to work after being a Stay-at-home-mom. Luckily, you are not alone. Many woman have gone through it.....
The 25 Best Christmas quotes of all time!