Activities to do with your Toddler on a Rainy Day
Rainy Days ahead!
So Indian Summer is now officially over as are the days at the park. My Toddler loves to be active and outside. But as the days grow colder it forces us parents to create challenging activities inside. The following ares some recipes to make dough and finger paints. They are as much fun to make as they are to use. Enjoy!
Playdough is a classic childhood toy everyone can have fun with, and it's so easy to make at home you'll never buy that stinky store variety again.
Basic ingredient ratios:
2 cups flour
2 cups warm water
1 cup salt
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 Tablespoon cream of tartar (optional for improved elasticity)
food coloring (liquid, powder, or unflavored drink mix)
- Mix all of the ingredients together, and stir over low heat. The dough will begin to thicken.
- When the dough pulls away from the sides and clumps in the center, remove the pan from heat and allow the dough to cool enough to handle.
- Continue to Mix and heat if the dough is too sticky!
Knead Knead Knead
- Turn the dough out onto a clean counter or silicone mat, and knead vigorously until it becomes silky-smooth. Divide the dough into balls for coloring.
- Make a divot in the center of the ball, and drop some food coloringin. Fold the dough over, working the food color through the body of the dough, trying to keep the raw dye away from your hands , your toddler's hands and the counter. You could use gloves or plastic wrap at this stage to keep your hands clean- only the concentrated dye will color your skin, so as soon as it's worked in bare hands are fine. Experiment a little if you are using flavored drink for coloring. It may take a little more.
- Work the dye through, adding more as necessary to achieve your chosen color.
Since it is made of edible ingredients it is toddler safe if eaten. Keep in air tight containers!
I just read this article on Frosting playdought... I have not tried it but I will!
You will need
- can frosting (any flavor)
- 1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- Mixing bowl
- Storage Container
Just mix ingrediants and enjoy!
Mix the following ingredients...3 Tbsp. Sugar 1/2 c. cornstarch 2 c. cold water food coloring Toddler
over low heat, stirring until ingrediants are blended well together. Divide the mixture into 5 parts. Add food coloring to mixture and stir well! Have fun!
Mix these ingredients:
- 2 Cups Flour
- 2 packs unsweetened kool-aid
- ½ Cup of salt
- 3 Cups boiling water
- 3 Tablespoons oil
More by this Author
There is a lot more to garden gnomes than meets the eye! These elusive creatures have inspired much folklore. Even Garden Gnome liberation groups have formed to protect them.....
The Trans Allegheny Lunatic Asylum is more than just a piece of history! it is one of the most popular haunted places in the world!
Thinking about mining for gems? Here is a listing of some of the more successful gem mining sites and some tips on what to expect!