Are Parents ruining the life of their Children by forcing Career choices?
Should Parents choose the Career of their children?
Parenting is an enormous responsibility. Children are like clay and Parents are like a Potter who gives shape to his creations. A Parent can make or break a child. Parents are said to have the best interests of their children in mind, yet many times they end up ruining the lives of their children with their choices. Every Parent wants his or her child to be successful in life by choosing an appropriate career. It is true that Parenting can be extremely demanding, and one learns by trial and error. Many times Parents force their opinions and choices on their children without considering what they want. Sometimes these mistakes of Parents can ruin their son/daughters life instead of improving them.
Should Parents enforce their career choices onto their child? Why do parents force their choices on kids? I am trying to give the answers to these questions through this Hub.
Given below are some common reasons why Parents may force their career choices on children.
Should Parents Force Career Choices Onto Their Children?
Parents play a vital role in the career planning of their children. Many times Parents force career choices on children:
- Because they want to see their dreams fulfilled through Children: We often see Parents who force their children to be a ‘Doctor’ or engineer’ because that is what they wanted personally but could not become. So they look upon their children for fulfilling their own unfulfilled dreams.
- Because the career choice is prestigious or rewarding: Sometimes Parents insist their children to opt for a Career because there is a lot of scope in it. Maybe it could be a career with a large pay packet too.
- Because the neighbor’s son/daughter is doing it: Sometimes pressure from Parents to choose a career could be because someone they know is doing it. So they consider it is a prestige issue for their offspring to do it too.
- Because it is a family thing: It is quite natural for Parents to expect their children to opt for a career majority of family members are in. For instance, a Businessman may expect his son to handle his business than go for an alternate career of his choice. Likewise, there are families where the male members are mostly lawyers or doctors. So it is quite natural for Parents to expect that their son would also choose it as a career.
- Because they think that is the best choice for their children: What the parents may think is best for their children may not always be the best for them. But if the assumption is made based on the abilities or interest, then it could be a wise choice.
What many of the overambitious parents do not realize is that forcing a child to pursue a career of your own choice which he/she has no interest on can often result in failure and disappointment. The Career of a person plays a large role in his/her happiness. Parents should try to be a guide to the children and help him/her in weighing the pros and cons of various careers. It is noticed that when people do things which they like and enjoy, they excel in what they do. Therefore, let you child choose a career which he/she wants based on their interest, aptitude, intelligence and personality.
Should Parents interfere in the Career choices of their children? Please share your opinions by way of comments.
© Copyright Anamika S Jain, All Rights Reserved.
More Hubs on Parenting
More by this Author
Bad parenting can be damaging for a child. Check this article for signs of bad parents, what side effects it can have on children, and tips on how to be a good parent.
- 14How to be a Good Role Model to your Children? Tips for Parents on Being a Positive role Model for their kids
Parents are responsible for shaping up the behavior of children and implementing positive values in them. So it is important that Parents should be good role models kids would want to follow.
The Internet has revolutionized the way we shop. Learn about ten benefits and advantages to online shopping and reasons why everyone's doing it!