Baby Crib Furniture
It's a wonderful for time for any new mum to be, to prepare baby crib furniture for the expected new arrival. I always waited until I was at least 7 months pregnant before I started preparing a nursery for baby. It felt like tempting fate to start before that.
There can be nothing more poignant for a new mum to have a nursery all prepared and ready for new baby and for something to happen to that pregnancy. Miscarriage and stillbirth are sadly still common.
It was considered bad luck to bring a pram into the house before baby's arrival, and I never did except when I reached my due date and all was well. Stillbirth is rare. Miscarriages are common. As many as 1 in 4 pregnancies end in miscarriage.
No matter if this is your first baby or not, each subsequent baby deserves the same care as your first, and preparing a nursery with baby crib furniture is still something that needs to be done.
Babies should have individual crib mattresses, so ideally you should buy a new one for each individual baby, although it is of less importance within the same family.
However, should you buy a second hand baby crib or cot, please replace the mattress with a new one.
Baby Crib Furniture That is Convertible
When buying baby crib furniture, it is worth while buying the best you can afford, especially if this furniture is to last baby through his formative years. Many cribs can be converted into junior beds for when he grows, and diaper changing stands are dual purpose chests of drawers which your baby will continue to need and use, long after he has grown out of diapers.
If you are interested in buying any of the items featured on this page, simply click on the links and they will take you straight through to Amazon who have a fantastic selection of baby products for sale. There simply isn't room to list all of them here.
Please read all of the safety issues I have highlighted, and keep those in mind when you are preparing your baby crib furniture for your expected new arrival.
When buying a crib, care must be taken to see that the mattress is a perfect fit. There should be no more than a 4 cm gap between the mattress and the crib sides. Any space greater than this and your baby is at risk of geting himself stuck in the gap. If you are buying a new mattress for an older crib, erect the crib first before measuring for a new mattress. You do no want one that is too big either, as this will prevent the free movement of the opening side of the crib.
Check that the bars on the crib are evenly spaced apart, but not so wide apart that baby could get his head through. Check that there are no loose screws or nails, or sharp corners that baby could injure himself on. Check too that any fabric meets the standard for fire safety.
Baby Crib Furniture
Baby Crib Mattress
Reduce the Risk of Cot Death (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome)
To reduce the risk of cot death there are some guidelines given out by the government after listening to medical experts.
While cot death is relatively rare, there are certain things you can do to help reduce the risk to your child.
- Always place baby down to sleep on his back.
- Keep the nursery temperature at about 640F/180C.
- Do not smoke in the same room as your baby, and don't allow anyone else to either.
- Never sleep in your own bed with your baby when he is under 8 weeks old. The risk of accidental suffocation is too great.
- Place baby in the lower half of his crib so that his feet touch the bottom. In this position he is less likely to become entangled in his sheet or blanket.
- Do not cover baby's head while he is sleeping. Babies lose excess body heat through their heads, and a covered head could mean he overheats which can be fatal.
- Never use duvets and pillows on the crib of a baby under 1 year old, use sheets and blankets instead.
- Have your baby immunised. This has been proven to reduce cot death risk.
- If baby is unwell, seek immediate medical attention.
When Your Baby Needs Urgent Medical Attention
Call your doctor or an ambulance immediately if your baby has any of the following symptoms
- Stops breathing or turns blue
- Is unresponsive and listless
- Eyes are glazed and seemingly unable to focus.
- Cannot be woken.
- Has a fit, even if they seem to recover immediatley afterwards.
Baby Crib Furniture
More by this Author
The making of the traditional Christmas dinner is usually a chaotic affair with many mouths to feed and many dishes to prepare. Read about how Christmas dinner is made in our house.
How to grow an avocado plant from the big seed at the center of the fruit is to clean and dry the seed, then plant it directly into a compost-filled pot. Place it rounded-side down, and wait and watch for signs of...
Recycling plastic bottles are all the rage, and what better way to make use of them, than by building yourself a greenhouse? Learn how to build a greenhouse made from plastic bottles.