Best Natural and Organic Hair Care Products for Babies and Children
Our babies and children are so very precious to us. We may even treat them more special than we treat ourselves, at times. So it makes sense that we also want the best for them: the best food, the best toys, the best clothes, and of course... the best in hair care products.
These days, most people are familiar with the fact that natural and organic foods are best for the body. It's entirely possible that you are aware that it is just as important to use skin and hair care products that are also free of harmful chemicals. Or maybe that hasn't settled in yet?
Our skin is the body's largest organ. It is our first layer of defense and also like one huge sponge. While many of us are pretty tough on our skin, it makes sense to respect it. And everyone knows the tender softness of a baby's skin is something to protect!
What are you looking to Avoid?
Conventional hair care products for babies and children may boast that they are tear free, but that perk may only be realized for part of the population, and not necessarily the ones you're trying to stop from having any extra tears! While mild formulation is important, getting soap into the eyes hurts because it's not supposed to be there, whatever type it is. Tip that head back, cover those eyes with a cloth, and if you must... flush it out with clear water!
Some chemical ingredients that you might want to be aware of include:
- Fragrance - This is often added as a perk, but can irritate skin and eyes and is generally not a genuinely sourced ingredient. Natural essential oils are used more often in organic products, but if you see the word "fragrance" go ahead and put the bottle back on the shelf.
- PEG-80 - This ingredient can be toxic to the organs (remember the skin and scalp qualify here) and there is a possibility that it is a contaminated ingredient and could have effects from other chemicals intertwined with its own.
- Quaternium-15 - This one has a long list of disadvantages, but is still used in the popular Johnson's Baby products... cancer causing, toxic to organ systems, allergy and immune system issues, and formaldehyde contamination, just to list a few.
- Cocamidopropyl Betaine - Another one with toxicity related to allergies and the immune system as well as contamination with other chemicals.
- D&C Red 33 - Artificial colors are also equalling increased cancer risk. Might be pretty, but it's caustic.
For more information about how your current and/or chosen products rate as far as their chemical composition, please visit the Environmental Working Group's Skin Deep Cosmetic Safety Database. I was a regular organic food buyer not paying a whole lot of attention to my skin care products... until I visited that site. You will find information about every ingredient in your beauty product - it is very comprehensive!
The Best of the Best
Since I'm a mother and all three of my children have sensitive skin, we've tried several natural and organic cleansers, shampoos, and conditioners. Here's our take on the best of the best:
- Giovanni Organic Hair and Body Care Products - While these are designed for adults, the kids love them and they do not irritate their skin. They leave the hair clean and silky, while leaving no residue or who knows what behind. Styling products as well. Pricey, but worth it 100%!
- Aubrey Organics - This company creates only all natural products which rate well on the Skin Deep site. They carry adult & baby products. No funny stuff here!
- Nutribiotic - We like the skin cleanser, and they also have shampoo and conditioner. The skin cleanser is an all around mild non-soap so it can easily be used for baby as well.
- California Baby - The favorite of moms at my former cooperative buying club. The kids and parents love the products and they have a nice detangler, too!
- Magick Botanicals - Designed for people of all ages who are chemically sensitive, these products are free of gluten, salicylates, and fragrance. I remember many mothers of children with severe eczema feeling good about using Magick.
- Earth Mama Angel Baby Organics - Our family has not tried these, but they rate very well and have only a few ingredients, which is also good to pay attention to: if the list is too long to read, put it back on the shelf!
You have to find what works for you and your family! Of course I've recommended some products you can start with if you like, but the true test will be how they feel when you use them. There are so many out there it is certain that you'll find the right one!
Remember to check out the Skin Deep Cosmetic Safety Database to see how your product rates so you know what you're putting in your body... through your skin!
Peace 4 Parents
Amy Phoenix (aka Rainbow Recognizer) is a gentle, yet direct parenting guide and healing facilitator dedicated to sharing insights and practices to transform frustration and anger, heal the past, nurture conscious relationships, and experience the peace of the present. Visit her at www.Peace4Parents.com.
More by this Author
That is a question many people would ask when they hear of the term elimination communication, otherwise known as EC or infant potty training. I like the term natural infant hygiene as well. Whatever you call it,...
We live in a conditional society, but many of us realize the inherent dangerous nature of treating one another in this manner. When we treat our children as if our love is conditional, meaning they have to do something...
- EDITOR'S CHOICE5
Children are born knowing they are of value. When this knowledge is challenged, resistance is created. Adults can make the difference, by choosing the presence we bring to our interactions with them.