Breast feeding Advice for a New Mother
Breast Milk Benefits and Tips
Some mothers have breastfed all of their children or some of their children. The reason mothers don't breastfeed all of their children is because most mothers don't really learn about breastfeeding until they have their second child. Most mothers learn how to breastfeed through: doctor's orientation classes, local WIC office, "new mother magazines" and "parenting magazines," and other books.
One of the things I remembering reading on the topic of breastfeeding was; breastfeed your baby as soon as they are born. Avoid letting the nurse take the baby to be fed with formula milk, if you actually plan on breastfeeding. Also topics on breastfeeding let the mothers know what to eat when breastfeeding. I thought about not breastfeeding until I found out all of the benefits it has for the newborn baby and mother. Not only does breastfeeding help the newborn baby but the new mother as well. There are more advantages than disadvantages when it comes to breastfeeding.
For the Mother:
- Faster weight loss especially in the waistline.
- Knowing that God intends for women to breastfeed their newborn baby.
- Breastfeeding is totally natural and normal.
- Cost less to breastfeed than to use formula.
- Reduces the risk of ovarian and breast cancer.
- Mothers don't have to get up in the middle of the night to make bottles.
- Some mothers sell or donate their breast milk.
More Breast Milk Benefits
For the Child:
- Prevents many childhood illnesses such as colic and diarrhea.
- Reduce risk of constipation.
- Protects against ear infection, allergies, and digestion problems.
- Decreased risk of tooth decay (cavities).
- Studies have shown breast fed children have higher IQ's and improved brain development.
- Breast milk is always at the right temperature for your baby.
- The baby has a closer emotional bond with their mother.
- Breastfeeding saves time and money.
Can't go out as much as you would want. If you go out, you need to have breast milk in the baby bottles or just breastfeed while you're out in a comfortable private area. Some places won't allow breastfeeding. (Why? I'm not quite sure)
Increase Breast Milk Supply:
- Get plenty of rest; get sleep when your baby is sleeping (this actually works).
- Continue taking prenatal vitamins, it helps with increase breast milk supply.
- Eat a healthy diet, high in iron.
- Eat and drink calcium enriched foods such as, dairy foods, milks, meats, broccoli, etc.
- Drink 8 ounce bottles/glasses of water during the day, to enhance your breast milk supply.
- Drink 100% fruit juices (not artificial) such as 100% orange juice.
- Eat canned tuna (this also increase breast milk supply).
- As mothers we have to know what to eat when breastfeeding and we have to know what to avoid.
- Attend breastfeeding classes.
- Drink natural herbal teas (no caffeine).
- When breastfeeding make sure you are comfortable, place a pillow on your lap as you breastfeed the baby.
- Being relaxed and calm can increase breast milk supply.
- Always stay in a great mood, you have to be relaxed, your baby can sense when your upset.
Things to Avoid:
- Limit caffeine products (such as caffeinated sodas).
- Drinking alcoholic drinks.
- Smoking cigarettes or second hand smoke can reduce the mother's milk supply as well.
- Consuming pork
- Junk foods
- Nonprescription medications.
Breast Milk is Natural
No other milk can compare to breast milk, breast milk is God made. Breast milk is the only food your baby will need for 4-5 months, until adding baby cereal to their milk bottle. The new mother just has to continue taking her prenatal vitamins and plenty of water daily. Breast milk is more easily digested than formula milk, mostly it has nutrients and proteins. The prenatal vitamin supplements the mother takes are going through the breast milk, straight to the baby. Actually everything the mother takes is going through the breast milk straight to the baby.
Now that you know what to eat when breastfeeding, apply it and you should have a successful breastfeeding experience. Make wise decisions on what you put in your body while breastfeeding. This is why caffeine products are to be avoided, because it can make the baby nervous and irritable. Also multiple sex partners can't be a choice, as whatever the mother contracts the baby will too. Did you know that when your baby cries, your breast-ducts start to fill up with more milk? It makes for an enhanced milk supply when the baby cries for at least one minute. Study and try different ways to make breastfeeding a success. Finally, Contact your doctor about all the medications your taking; to make sure you have the doctor's approval.
Ways to Encourage Breastfeeding:
- New mothers can learn before the baby is born, or right after the baby is born.
- Health care staff can help the mother start breastfeeding with the baby.
- Right after the birth of the baby; don't give the baby food or drink other than breast milk unless medically indicated.
- Give no pacifiers to breastfeeding infants.
- New mothers can attend support groups to help maintain and assist with breastfeeding techniques and nutrition ideas
- Most importantly, the fathers of the baby should encourage breast milk for their babies. It will help their child: sitting up on their own sooner, smarter minds, and healthier child development and adulthood throughout their whole life.
- Talk to a mother that had a successful breastfeeding history.
Watch this video - Doctor Encourages Breastfeeding
Michelle Obama - Promotes Breast Milk
Michelle Obama is using breastfeeding awareness as a way to bring attention to reduce childhood obesity. Breastfeeding rates are low among African-American mothers compared to other racial and ethnic groups, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
And Mrs. Obama took note of this when she addressed the Congressional Black Caucus Conference. In black communities there are 40% of black babies that never got breast fed at all. In a "Let's Move" policy report, one of the problems mothers may have with breastfeeding; starts in the hospital where after birth; "Many babies are unnecessarily given formula, and separated from their mothers, making it harder to start and practice breastfeeding."
© Sabrina A. K.
Breast Milk Poll
What do You Feed Your Baby?See results without voting
Watch this video - How to Enhance/Increase your Breast Milk Supply
© 2011 Brinafr3sh
More by this Author
Do you remember the Old School Childhood Games and Nursery rhymes? Some adults today teach some of those games and nursery rhymes to their own children.
Preparing for your new baby requires buying quality baby items. Babies need so much stuff, especially if they are your first child.
Afeni Shakur, the mother of Tupac Shakur, was a former member of the Black Panther Party for Self Defense. Ms. Shakur was a strong black woman, a philanthropist, and a Christian woman.