Co-Parenting: When Parents Disagree On How To Raise a Child Tips On Conflict Resolutions For Spouses
The Wonderful Gift of New Life!
When Opposites Attract...
Many times when people fall in love they find that their significant other is quite opposite of them and this makes the relationship balanced and interesting.
Let's say that "Jen" and "Joe" met in college, dated for several years and then decided to tie the knot and get married.
After several years of building up their wealth, going on vacations and having the time of their life together, Jen announces that she is pregnant.
The tears of joy flow like a wild river and the couple can't wait to tell everyone they know their good news!
As the next 9 months go by, Jen realizes that while talking to Joe, they have very different styles of parenting as they grew up in totally different homes as children themselves.
Jen's water breaks and before they know it, Mr. and Mrs. Joe are the proud parents of a new baby!
After a few days of testing and observation they go home and settle the baby, the new life they created, and then that's when things start to change in what was once a great marriage...
We All Love Our Children but Sometimes We Don't Agree on How To Raise Them!
Parents Are the Pillars of a Stable Home Life!
Useful Tips for Successful Parenting When Parents Don't Agree!
You can not force someone to agree with you and the harder you try, the more stressful the situation becomes. As humans in general, different opinions make life interesting and less monotonous.
It is great to have different opinions but when it comes to parenting and raising a family, things can get ugly! So are there ways to compromise? Let's Look at some ideas for when you can't agree on something and how to solve conflicts:
- Open Communication is the most important aspect of successful parenting. Communicating with your significant other as well as your children can help ease disagreements and makes the family home environment safe and stable. Always keep your communication positive and respectful.
- Respecting Your Spouse and Children is important during an argument or disagreement. Respect your spouse by not raising your voice and never swear at them or try to use "guilt trips". This adds stress to the relationship and pushes you further from conflict resolution. You can respect your children by not arguing in front of them and never blame them for your parental arguments.
- Write Down a Plan when you don't agree with a specific parenting methods. Make 2 columns and title them "Good" and "Bad" aspects of each other's point of view. Sometimes seeing it in writing rather than hearing it can make someone realize that there are alternatives to their original point of view.
- Polling Friends and Family can be helpful as long as it doesn't create separate "teams". If you have friends and family that will give you a non-biased answer, seek out whatever advice they may have for coming to a conclusion.
- Search Parenting Resources has become quite easy over the last decade. There are many popular books written on parenting and there is no shortage of articles that discuss parenting issues on the Internet. Don't be embarrassed when looking for parenting materials! No one get's a life handbook when we are born and some of us grew up with "bad" parents or no parents at all. We make our own decisions in life and when we do research, we tend to make better decisions!
- Seek Professional Help. Seeing a family therapist is a great way to learn how to work together to compromise and learn new ways to be a better parent. Seeking the advice from a registered councilor that is trained in family mediation can be rewarding. These types of professionals take a non-biased point of view and often can offer useful tips that can help you and your spouse.
These are just a few ideas and basics for coming together when making parenting decisions. Respect goes a long way during conflict resolution and couples should avoid yelling, getting physical and arguing in front of their children. If your situation gets bad you should consider going for professional help. Never allow your children or yourself to be in a relationship where you are afraid and don't feel safe. Someday your children may become parents. Take the opportunity to teach them how to be a good parent by being one yourself!
How Often Do You and Your Spouse Agree on Parenting Decisions?
Are You Opposites or On the Same Page?See results without voting
Spend Time With Your Kids!
More Articles on Effective Parenting Methods That Work
The following articles address different issues that parents and children deal with at different stages in their life. Look for some ways that can help your family maintain stability and order by setting up a strong foundation.
The Best Reward Is Watching Them Grow Up!
Want To Raise Well-Behaved Children but Don't Want To Spank Them? Check Out Alternatives To Hitting a Child
- How To Effectively Discipline Children Without Spanking: Parenting Methods That Work
Are you looking for Alternative Ways to Discipline your Children Without Hitting or Spanking them? Here are some Techniques that Work!
Take Your Kids Camping!
- How To Plan A Safe Camping Trip: Guide and Tips To Be Prepared and Have The Right Tools and Camp Equ
The birds are chirping, the flowers are budding and you are starting to get Spring Fever. It's time to start thinking about Planning Your Camping Vacation and this Guide will help you to have a Safe and Enjoyable Camping Trip!
Having Trouble Setting Limits With Your Kids? Check Out These Useful Tips
- Tips On How To Set Time Limits For Your Kids: TV Internet Social Media and Gaming
The statistics are alarming. Many young children are suffering from Childhood Obesity and are contracting Diabetes at alarming rates...
Explore Why Teaching Your Children the Value of Reading Is Important
- Childrens Reading List by Age Group
Reading at home is an important practice for all family members. This article Discusses the benefits of Reading at Home and includes a Reading List By Age Group of the Top 5 Books of All Time.
Keep Kids Read All Summer Long!
- Top 10 Books to Read For Teens and Young Adults: A Reading List To Keep Kids Reading All Summer!
Getting your teens to read is not always an easy task! You have to supply them with books they will be interested in or you are wasting your time! In this Hub Article we will explore the Top 10 Best Selling Books for Teens.
Grab a Book and Head to the Beach!
My Side of the Mountain: A Great Book for Children!
- "My Side of the Mountain" Book Review: The Only Book I Would Keep to Get Kids Reading!
Children's Book Review of "My Side of the Mountain", by author Jean Craighead George. This is the first book in a trilogy about a boy named Sam Gribley who lives in New York and wants to run away. He plots his adventure and heads up into the wild...
Dr. Seuss: Most Famous Children's Book Writer
A Complete List of Dr. Seuss Books and Materials
- Help Kids Learn to Read With Dr. Seuss: Complete List of Childrens Books, Movies and Games by Theodo
Dr. Seuss is perhaps the most widely recognized children's book author ever published. I know that I grew up reading The Cat in the Hat , Green Eggs and Ham , and How The Grinch Stole Christmas...
Where Can We Play?
Do Children Play Outside Anymore?
- Nowhere For Our Kids To Play
I have seen a lot of big changes in the environment and the way children play these days.There's nowhere for our kids to play! All the woods have been cut down to add more houses to our neighborhoods. Our kids are addicted to media...
More by this Author
- 8How To Cook Pot Roast In a Cast Iron Dutch Oven: Recipe Ingredients and Directions with Photo Review
Learn How to Cook and Make Traditional American Pot Roast. This recipe feeds 6-8 people and uses a Cast Iron Dutch Oven. Simple Ingredients and Preparation. Amaze your family with this classic dinner recipe!
- 57Where Did Interesting Words Come From? Infantry, Shindig, Hair of the Dog, Money and Mortgages, Rain Check, Spam, Quiz
Have you ever wondered where some of the words we use everyday come from? Did you know that their word Court used to mean "Barnyard" in Latin (cohors) ? Join me in my upcoming Hubs as we will explore the...
Learn about cast iron cookware and its benefits and how to season, clean, and store it.