Effective Tips to Raise Children With Special Needs and Disabilities
The disposition of children with disabilities or the so “called” special children is indeed bothering and sometimes makes their respective parent’s heart bleeds. Forget about the enormous energy and attention these wonderful moms and dads uses to tend to the needs of their children, but what makes the situation very saddening is seeing their children languishing in sadness and in discomfort. These children doesn’t enjoy life to the fullest just like normal children do - playing with other kids in playgrounds, running all day long, climbing trees and among other things healthy and normal children does.
Yes indeed, life can be bitter but we must keep on moving, and like a the captain of a yacht, no matter how hard the wind will pummel our sails we must persevere to move forth forward and no matter how hard the waves batters our ship we must focus on reaching our destination.
Life conforms to the “Law of Averages,” in other words; we might lose at times but bounce back onto the next to win. Having children with some disabilities and even deformities is indeed burden on the back of their parents, but this is how genuine love will be tested. There is always a reward in the end if parents does their job well and endured the pain, trials and difficulties. The happiness they can acquire while showing compassion at all the times is priceless and will worth all the effort they whipped out.
Here are some valuable tips and pointers to raise children with special needs, disabilities or deformities.
Educate and inform yourselves about your child’s disability and conditions. This will give you a bird’s eye view of options you might employ to cure the existing problems or at least minimize the impact of their disability to the desired potential level.
Learning things pertaining to the problems your child is encountering in a proper perspective to do the necessary things from feeding, to tending to his needs and even staying away from doing things that could harm your child.
Have a positive attitude at all times. The pessimistic sees the hole in a doughnut, but the optimistic see otherwise, that is, the doughnut itself. It’s okay to be optimistic, but also consider being realistic for we live in a real world with real problems to solve.
Help children to gain independence. Its okay to be always besides your child if that is recommended, see to it that he can be reliable on doing things he can potentially accomplish on his own. While trying to instill independence to your child you should have great amount of patience, don’t push him to hard or never get frustrated he ever fail in trying. The book “Special Child,” states: “ A good rule of the thumb is to try to maintain a balance between encouraging independence providing enough assistance to prevent frustration.”
Muster courage, hope and strength from God. Oftentimes we need to face fate of having an aching heart, to make us stronger even further. In times of trials we tend to be hopeful and gets closer to God, this action actually favors you, since according to the Times Magazine “Happiness or related mental states like hopefulness, optimism and contentment appear to reduce the risk or limit the severity of cardiovascular disease, diabetes, hypertension, colds and upper-respiratory infections,” thus being hopeful actually helps us to have a healthy disposition.
Here some other things to consider in dealing with your child well.
- Converse with the child just like the normal one. Let others have healthy, smart and compassionate discussions with your child.
- Talk with the parents about their child and try to give some commendations.
- Let other be receptive and thoughtful of the child’s feeling.
- Join in the activities of the parents and families of special children.
- Avoid discrimination but try to understand their situation and instead of giving a laugh why not just give love, compassion and prayers.
- Teach our children not to mock, or attack verbally children or even the older people with disabilities, for they have feelings too that is susceptible of getting hurt.
My third hub in the April HubChallenge or the 60dc.
- The Importance of Sports in Your Kid's Life
What is elementary life without sports? Probably boring and lifeless as it is. Sports is vital in the very young lives of your kids for it gives them a lot of things to learn about life aside from...
- How to Stop Bullying Bullies
Bullying in school is common in Asia, and its a pity if one of your kids is the one getting the insults or other forms of provocations that could stimulate fistfight which will of course favor the tormentor...
- Filipino Kid's Play, Plaything and Playground
Filipino youngsters just like their counterparts elsewhere in our planet indeed have a deep penchant for play, plaything and playground. Sociable in nature, Filipino kids exhibits friendliness at a very young...
- Play, Plaything, and Playground Good For Your Children
Playing enhances psychomotor (ability to use both the body and mind in doing activity), emotional quotient (decision-making skill, discipline, right attitude and ability to come up with appropriate actions...
- How to Protect Your Child's Eyesight or Vision
When the weekend approaches expect your children to hang about in your home, as they will watch their favorite cartoon shows on your television, or play with their computers or PSP. However, if your...
You might be interested in:
- Useful Tips and Pointers to Help Your Kids Write Well
Written languages are evident in our daily life, we use it communicate with other people and without it we consider the world we live in helpless and of no significance. The written languages encompasses our...
- How to Help Your Kids Overcome Assignments
Homework or also known as assignment is part of the learning process your kids should go through in school. The homework handed by their teachers can be punishing at times it tends to increase and becomes more...
- Tutorial Help For Kids
As an instructor and been a teacher before, I also experienced tutoring students. My experienced doing all of these things I hope gives me the right to whip out a hub that to discern when to get the help of...
- Reasons Why We Need to Study Mathematics Subjects
Whether we like it or not mathematics is part of our life already and no matter where we go, we will inevitably stumble upon numbers, and mathematical calculations (discounts, changes, calculations, etc.). In...
- How to Help Your Kids Prepare and Pass Tests
Olympic sprinters need not train to break records all the time. They regularly work out doing some sprints, jogging, lifting weights and doing other necessary drills they need to improve their performance....
- Which is Better Private School or Public School
School is an institution where our kids well learn a lot of things that could help them become more responsible and productive citizens in our society. It is the place where education is given importance as...
- How to Teach Your Kids Problem-Solving Skills
When a child has a problem, he may also think that he himself as a prey. Every child calls for an upbeat means of mulling over about his struggles and troubles so that he can whip out concrete solutions to...
- How to Teach Your Kids to Make Good Choices
Providing children choices can have a great impact on their very young lives. When children are given the privilege of joining in decision-making course of actions especially with their academic paths, their...
More Suggested Readings / Related Links
- How to get along well with your family
- How to be Good Parents Through Sports
- How to grow in your family :: How to be a good and cool member of the family
- How to plan recreational activities for families
- How to Have a Safe Summer Outing or Vacation
- The Different Housing Problems of the Family
- Filipino Family Values
- The Typical Filipino Family
- Characteristics and Features of an Ideal House
- Necessary traits to keep the family in harmony
- Characteristics typical to different positions in the family:
- What are the needs of parents and children
- Effective Tips to Raise Children With Special Needs and Disabilities
- How to Boost Your Child's Eating Habits
- How to Survive Grief When Your Loved One Dies
More by this Author
Relationships in the family can be likened to foods which the body may need. These foods may soon become energy which can be compared to desirable traits needed by the family members to keep the family harmonious and...
A family is the basic unit of our society and can be likened to a human body consisting of different parts. Each part however has its own function and purpose and should work in sync in order to accomplish a common...
Our planet is indeed gasping for breath right now, our harmful pollution is indeed choking her slowly and continues to strip her ozone layer. I think it is about time to give our timely response to this alarming state...