How to Help your Child Build Self-Confidence and Self-Esteem
Children in the Early Stages:
Inspired by Elias...
Aristotle confirmed that parents should pay special attention to their children till they are 21 years old and never stop their traditional fostering at a certain age. He said that we should start with reading, writing and math since these subjects constitute the preliminary and profound background for the upcoming more complex studies. Also, John Locke postulates that individuals are born with a blank slate or white page referring to the mind where the society like school, friends and family distill all the experiences through the years. On the other hand, Rousseau stressed the necessity of progressive methodology to teach children. He noticed that the kid is not just a small ignorant entity, but an intelligent creature which can be molded easily and affected by special means of teaching. While school is very important to build up the child’s personality, the family play a major role and sometimes more important than the school. The child spends lots of time with the parents and tries to copy everything around like the way of eating, drinking, swearing, walking etc. So, parents should be careful dealing with the kid specially the way they talk or behave.
Below are some easy, simple and short ways of building self-confidence in children and enhancing the sense of individualism within them. They are like keywords based on real experience and experimental child psychology which we should remember when dealing with kids:
Steps to build self-esteem are
- Praise your kid in front of others
- Don’t let your child criticize himself
- Address your kid with: would you please?
- Treat him as a child and let him live his childhood
- Help him make his own decision.
- Teach him how to swim
- Make him the guest of honor in an occasion
- Ask him his own opinion about something and let him choose.
- Assign a space in the house for his toys or works. Write his name on his projects and give him credit.
- Help him make new friends but carefully.
- Make him feel and see his importance and his status.
- Teach him how to express his views and speak of himself in public without fear.
- Show him how to read directions and how to follow them.
- Teach him how to set goals, principles and duties for himself and how to pursue them.
- Teach him the basics of first aid.
- Answer all his questions and never ignore them.
- Whenever you promise, fulfill that promise and don’t fail him.
- Teach him how to cook simple dishes like boiled eggs, fried potatoes, toasted bread etc
- Teach him the meaning of teamwork.
- Encourage him to ask questions and to be curious.
- Make him feel that he is important in front of his friends.
- Explain the reasons of any decision made by you.
- Be with him on the first day of school.
- Tell him stories about your childhood.
- Teach him how to be found when he is lost.
- Teach him how to refuse and say NO!
- Teach him how to give away charity and to be kind.
- Sit with him and show him how to study and memorize.
- Teach him how to defend himself.
- Never threaten him, intimidate or criticize him, but show him the right way.
- Teach him how to face failure and not to give up.
- Teach him how to invest his money and buy useful things
- Share with him his ambitions and dreams and encourage him.
- Teach him how to be responsible for his actions
- Show him how to be nice to pets and animals.
- Apologize to him for any obvious mistake committed by you.
- Surprise him from time to time.
- Finally, always say that you love him and hold him because this will boost his confidence.
More by this Author
A Thorough hub about all the aspects of tattoos in general starting from tips on how to get a tattoo, where, the risks involved, the price and finally, tips to remove tattoos. Enjoy!
This hub discusses colors and their importance in our lives. Psychologically speaking, colors affect us in many ways and can interprets our inner souls. So, it's important to know your color.
This hub tackles the anceient discussion of who is smarter of both genders boys or girls? Of course no one will ever know and it is a relative thing. You can find some fun facts and entertaining argument in here.