Fun Fall Activities for the Whole Family
Fall is my favorite season. The days are gorgeous, the garden is still producing yummy vegetables, the weather is perfect (most of the time) and there are just so many things to do and see. An added benefit is that many of these activities don't cost much money. Here are some of the activities that we enjoy before the weather turns too cold for me to handle.
- Apple picking. Picking your own apples goes very quickly (we picked 3 bushes in about 30 minutes), there are no thorns, there is no bending over to pick them and the kids have a blast eating apples the whole time. Healthy and nutritious fun for everyone. A bonus is the apples are cheaper than store bought, taste better and will keep for several weeks if stored properly. Make some homemade applesauce to go with dinner and your house will smell wonderful.
- Fall festivals. Many farms around us offer festivals celebrating the harvest and fall. You can taste apples, make cider, pick pumpkins, take hay rides, pet some animals and more. There were a handful of festivals in CO when we lived there and they are all over OH. I have heard of other states having them as well. This is a great way to spend the day as a family.
- See the leaves changing colors. Take a drive in the mountains if you have them or a national park to see some peaceful, beautiful colors.
- Go for a hike. The weather is perfect for hiking, not too hot and not too cold, and you can enjoy the last days of warm weather while taking in the leaves. This is good exercise too.
- Take in a high school football game. To me, fall means football and my whole family loves it. High school on Friday, college on Saturday and pro on Sunday. But high school football is the best to enjoy in person (my opinion) with the marching bands and being close to the field. The price is right too and it makes us feel more a part of our small town when we attend games.
- Play outside with the kids or go for a bike ride. Try to soak up the last rays of sunshine before heading indoors for the winter (you realize I live in OH right, we have to do this). Rake a pile of leaves and jump in them with your kids. Even older kids like to do this I have found.
- Work your way through a corn maze. We have seen simple ones and extremely elaborate ones. Personally we are not at the point of wanting to spend a few hours finding our way through a maze, but we still love to tackle smaller ones.
Fall is a wonderful season and I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
More by this Author
Gymnastics is a very popular sport for children and young adults. Unlike other sports that can be played on through adulthood (at least part of it), gymnasts are pretty much done by their early 20's. Their...
One of the best ways to be frugal in the kitchen is to make your own foods. Don't use all of the prepackaged products available all over the grocery store. Just walking down the baking aisle will show you dozens of...
I recently had a very serious nail infection and I am hoping that my experience will help other people. What started as a fun weekend at a local water park ended in two surgeries and a hospital stay. Nail infections,...