For Mothers: Get to Know Your Daughter by Cooking Together.
The relationship between mother and daughter starts to form right at the time of the daughter’s birth and continues through the lives of both. Though this relationship, like any other, has its own complications, nevertheless there are many things that can be done to nurture it into a very strong one.
Cooking is one of those age-old parts of life that could come in handy when trying to bridge the gap between the women of the house.
Its a well known saying that good food brings people together, so why not mothers and their daughters who will get to spend quality time and enjoy a meal afterwards by themselves or with the rest of the family?
So how can you turn something that is seen as a chore by some, into a rewarding activity? The tips below can help:
1. Start at a young age: When kids are young, they tend to learn better and faster, that does not mean that you cannot start with your teenage or grown daughter now, its just a good idea to involve them when they are young.
2. Plan before actually cooking: Asking your daughter what to cook will make her feel important. Going through recipe books or old family recipes, and grocery trips will make the entire process even more intimate.
3. Go for something easy: Try recipes that are easy to follow, save the difficult ones for later when you both have the experience of working together. Even regular foods such as salads, soups,and sandwiches can create magic when prepared and eaten in an atmosphere of joy.
4. Be patient: Remember, this is not about the task of cooking but rather it is about cooking as an art and must be taught with lots of love and passion. Explain each process if your daughter is not experienced, such as the right quantity of ingredients,the methods used, the way to clean up afterwards and any other important point. By doing this, any doubt she might have will be removed. Do not scold her for any mistake, this is a time for bonding not fault-finding.
5. Talk about random things: Just having a conversation can do wonders and can create an unforgettable memory for both of you. Telling her about your past experiences with cooking will be a good way of having her attention. She might also tell you things about herself and this will help you to understand her better.
6. Show gratitude for her participation: Telling your daughter that it means a lot to you spending time with her, will have her looking forward to more of your mother-daughter bonding time. If possible, set a date or time for the next cooking program.
These tips and many more activities that you can come up with, since you understand your daughter better, will go a long way in fostering a life-long, healthy relationship of mutual respect and trust.
Did this hub help you find ways of bridging the gap between mother and daughter?See results without voting
A list of hubs to check out:
More by this Author
Here it was, just as breathtaking as ever, Sarah thought as she got down from the car. She walked slowly, taking off her slippers as if stepping on sacred ground.
As part of growing up, your child will go through many experiences both good and bad. These are essential for the growth of your kid. But how do you know whether he/she is experiencing those little th
Do you want to have healthy, shiny hair without spending too much? Everyone is looking for cheap, natural yet effective beauty treatments nowadays. It's not that difficult to have hair which looks like you went...