LET YOUR TEEN OFF THE LEASH - 10 SIGNS HE'S READY
MUM CAN I?
Mum, is it ok if I go into town with some guys? Mum can I go to a gig with my friends? Mum can I go to an all night party? Mum can I go on holiday with my girlfriend? Familiar questions?
All parents face this dilemma sooner or later, but how do you tell if your teen is ready to accept the responsibility that goes with extra freedom?
You may ask if there's a specific age when a teenager should be able to do these things. I'd say no because each child is different. Each teenager has their own level of maturity that isn't dependent upon age.
10 Signs of Readiness for More Responsibility
Here are 10 simple signs to show that your teen is ready to be let off the leash (a little)
1. They always keep their word.
2.They show sound judgement in most areas
3. They do their homework regularly and work to the best of their ability in school.
4.They appreciate peer approval but are not controlled by their peers.
5. They usually do their chores when asked
6. They are doing defined activities or interests when they go out of the house; not just hanging round the streets.
7. You can relax (a little) when they’re out with friends.
8. They’re willing to discuss most of their activities with you. Don't expect miracles!
9. They’ve stuck to any rules or curfews put in place.
10. They can admit when they’ve made a mistake and learn from it
Remember that occasional, minor lapses of responsibility are bound to occur with most teenagers. They’ll forget to do a job or come back half an hour late. If they can acknowledge their mistakes and learn from them and on the whole demonstrate a consistent pattern of responsible behaviour; you can keep increasing their freedom as they mature.
Also remember that you can only ever do your best. You can instill into them all the morals and values that you want but they will choose whether to abide by them or not.
© Susan Bailey 2009 All Rights Reserved
More by this Author
What I am about to write may bring a barrage of comments from those who do not believe in the concept of ‘Tough Love’. And from those who feel that children should be helped out of their messes and disasters...
There have always been conflicting opinions on how soon to wean your baby. Guidelines often alter, which can leave new mums confused; especially if this isn’t their first baby and advice has changed since their...
When a patient presents at the surgery with complaints of feeling tired and multiple aches and pains it can be very difficult for the doctor to ascertain exactly what the diagnosis is.