How Many Ways Can You Spell Catherine / Kathryn?
The classic name "Catherine" is most commonly spelled as "Catherine," "Kathryn," or "Katherine," but that doesn't mean people haven't come up with more kree8tyv spellings. In fact, with a some simple combinatorial math, you can come up with a staggering 288 different spelling variations of Catherine! In this article we also look at the meaning of the name Catherine and the most popular spellings according to US census data.
How to Count the Spelling Variants of Catherine / Kathryn with Math
If you try to count all the ways of spelling Catherine or Kathryn by writing them down, even systematically, you may miss some of the possible spellings. A simpler and more accurate way to find all the variations is to use combinatorics.
The formula is incredibly easy. Just find all the ways to write the "Cath," "er," and "ine" parts, and multiply the three numbers. In other words, the total number of plausible spellings of "Catherine" is equal to the number of ways to spell "Cath," times the number of ways to represent the "r" sound, times the number of ways to spell the unstressed last syllable "ən." The symbol ə is known as the schwa sound in English, the sound of an unstressed neutral vowel.
In the table below are all the possible spellings of the three components of Catherine. Notice that there are a lot of entries in the last column. This is because all of these syllables sound like "ən" when they are an unaccented.
Ways to Spell the "Cath" Part
Ways to Spell the "er" Part
Ways to Spell the "ine" Part
Total = 3
Total = 6
Total = 16
To come up with a spelling variation of Catherine / Kathryn, you take one element from the first column, one from the second, and one from the third. This means there are 6*3*16 = 288 different spellings of the name Kathryn or Catherine -- that could plausibly be pronounced as Catherine. Some of these are far less common than others, for example, "Khathren" or "Cathrrynd" are pretty bizarre, even by kree8tyv naming standards.
Meaning and Origin of the Name Catherine
Catherine may be derived from the Greek καθαρός (katharos), meaning pure, however it may also be derived from the ancient Greek name Αἰκατερίνα (Aikaterina) which is of uncertain origin. Some people think Aikaterina may be a derivative or corruption of the name Ἑκάτη (Hekate) the Greek goddess of sorcery and herbal knowledge. Regardless of its true origin, it is one of the oldest given names in continuous existence.
Most Common Ways of Spelling Catherine or Kathryn
According the US census and birth records data, the most popular spellings are the following:
- (1) Katherine: Approximately 1 in every 524 women born or living in the US is named Katherine. The peak popularity of Katherine as a baby name was before 1880, again in 1945-1960, and again in 1980-1990.
- (2) Catherine: Approximately 1 in every 562 women born or living in the US is named Catherine. The peak popularity of Catherine as a baby name was 1900-1920, and again in 1950-1960.
- (3) Kathryn: Approximately 1 in every 727 women born or living in the US is named Kathryn. The peak popularity of Kathryn as a baby name was 1910-1920, again in 1945-1960, and again in 1980-1990.
Famous Catherines and Kathryns
- Katharine Hepburn - American Actress
- Catherine Deneuve - French actress
- Katheryn Hudson - Pop singer known professionally as Katy Perry
- Catherine Duchess of Cambridge - Aka Kate Middleton
- Kathryn Bigelow - Academy Award-winning director
- Catherine Keener - American actress
- Catharine Beecher - Champion of women's education and sister of author Harriet Beecher Stowe
- Katherine Heigl - American actress
- Catherine Blanchett - Aka Cate Blanchett, Australian actress
- Katherine Anne Porter - American author
Diminutives, Nicknames, and Variants of Catherine
Catherine has many nicknames and variations in other languages. Some common and uncommon nicknames in English and other languages include
Kat/Cat, Kit, Cathy/Kathy, Kate/Cate, Kitty, Cath/Kath, Katie, Cather, Erin, Wren, Therrie, Cassie, Karen, Trinny, Katya, Kasia
Names related to Catherine in English and other languages include
Caitlin/Katelyn, Kathleen/Cathleen, Catriona, Cateline, Catalina, Katrina, Ekaterina, Katka, Kathe, Karen, Karina, Katrien, Katharina
More by this Author
Kristen is a traditional Christian name. Kristen, Kristin, Christin, Cristen, etc. is a perennially popular name for girls in North America, Europe, and Australia. Like many common names, it is one with many spelling...
Actress Lindsay Lohan The classic English name Lindsay (pronounced LIN-zee) is one of many girl names that started out as a name for boys and has its origins in English surnames. Today it's rare to find men under the...
Fictional Derek: Derek Zoolander Derek / Derrick is a popular, strong masculine name for males. With its hard d and k sounds, it evokes power and charisma. One of the drawbacks of this name, however, is that there are...