How to Build a Diaper Cake Without Rolling Diapers
You will need:
- a partner
- Approximately 100 diapers (2-3 packs)
- a 5-pack of themed onesies
- 3-5 small flannel receiving blankets
- a roll of wide ribbon
- 3-5 extra-large rubber bands
- miscellaneous socks, toys, small gifts
- 3-4 cans of varying sizes for establishing a base- formula cans work well
- a topper (stuffed animal, bathing mitt, etc)
- a staper (heavy-duty fabric stapler works best)
- packing tape
Step Two: Laying Out the Diapers Like Dominoes
- Choose the largest can to use for the circle shape
- Lay out about 10-20 of the diapers like dominoes that have been toppled.
- Pick up the small length of stacked/laid out diapers, and wrap them around the can. Have your partner ready with one of the rubber bands.
- Lay out several more stacks of diapers (repeating step 2), and proceed to tuck them under the diapers that are already wrapped around the can, allowing them to join the circle around the can. Your partner will need to stretch the rubber band around the new stacks as they wrap.
- Once you have formed a horizontal circle of diapers around the can, it is time to tuck little surprises, such as rolled up onesies and receiving blankets, between the layers of diapers. If you find that your bottom layer is too small in diameter, you can make it larger by wrapping receiving blankets around the can in the middle.
- After the circle is complete, with your partner's help, wrap the length of ribbon around the layer, covering the large rubber band. The ribbon should be wrapped as tightly as possible. Your partner should be ready with the stapler to attach the two ends of ribbon to each other.
- Use another piece of ribbon to tie a large bow, then attach it with the stapler to the ribbon seam securing the layer.
- Use a smaller can to form the middle layer. Repeat steps 2-7.
- Form large loops of packing tape to attach the middle layer to the bottom layer.
- Top layer: It's best to use an empty can for this, and certainly the can should be the smallest. Empty sample cans of formula work best here. Repeat steps 2-7.
- Place the topper inside the empty can supporting the top layer.
More by this Author
We started looking for alternative diapering for two reasons: diaper rashes and landfills. We tried everything we could purchase locally, and almost everything we could buy online. We did hours of research, all with...
A comprehensive review of Huggies, Pampers, and Luvs versus store brand diapers, such as Target, Walgreen's, Publix, Kroger, Jewel, Babies R Us, Aldi and Whole Foods.
So you've chosen to breastfeed. It's an extraordinary and life-altering choice. You will need as much support as you can get, and not just from your nursing bra! Luckily, there are a vast array of products designed...