How to Cheaply Entertain Kids
Free/Cheap Kids Entertainment
From the moment you have kids, everyone tells you how expensive they are. Don't despair - here are tips and tricks to entertain kids on the cheap.
Nature is one of the best free playgrounds imaginable. Here are some ideas on what to do outdoors.
- Go on a scavenger hunt! First make a list of common items kids can find outside, think pine cones, leaves, sticks, pebbles, etc. Now, grab a basket and see who can find all the items on the list first.
- Go on a nature walk - Talk about what plants you see long they way, bushes, flowers, trees, etc. Turn over some rocks and see what you find underneath. Don't be afraid to get a little dirty.
- Scout our a playground - most cities have free playgrounds for kids. Don't under estimate the amount of fun that swings and slides can provide.
- Ride a bike - Kids today do not spend enough time just riding their bikes.
- Play tag - Get out and run in the yard. The only supplies needed are a smile. Other fun games for kids include Mother May I, Red Light/ Green Light, and Simon Says. Bring back an old classic and make it your family's favorite.
- Have a picnic - Picnics are a great way to turn a boring lunch into a fun outing. You can have a picnic just about anywhere - a park, a city bench or in your own backyard.
My kids love all modes of transportation. If your kids are the same, use this to your advantage.
- Ride the bus - for the price of a round-trip ticket, your kids can see the city from a new viewpoint as you act as their tour guide, telling them all about the sites and sounds along the way.
- Firetrucks!! Most fire stations allow you to arrange a free visit to see the fire engines and talk to the firefighters. Kids of all ages like this.
- Airplanes - If you have an airport in your city, spend an afternoon with your kids watching the planes take off and land. Talk to them about where they think the plane might be going, what the passengers are doing, etc. Use your imagination and make it an adventure.
Kids In a Museum
There is so much to learn an explore in museums, from science to art to history, there is something for everyone. But how do you keep the admission fees from eating up your budget?
- Check the Hours - Some museums offer free or discounted admission certain times of day. Sure, you can't see it all in an hour, but perhaps an hour is all your kids can handle anyway.
- Look For Free Days - There are often sponsored days where the museum is open to the public at no charge. Find out in advance when these are and put it on your calendar.
Science Experiments For Kids
Head to your library or search Hubpages for cheap and easy science experiments for kids. The experiments can often be conducted with general households items (translation: no cost to mom and dad).
Kids In the Kitchen
You have to cook anyway, so why not make it fun for everyone. Invite your kids to help cook.
- Bake cookies or bread to take to the fire department (see money-saving entertainment above).
- Kids love sifting through dried beans looking for rocks (it's a boring job, but someone's got to do it).
- Have kids help layer a lasagna.
The key in the kitchen is to make it fun. They may not always get the recipe right, but let them learn, let them try new things and let them laugh. Remember, we are going for cheap entertainment here, not competing against The Cake Boss.
Get to know your community by scouting out the local festivals. Some of our favorites include:
- The Fairy Ball - Kids can dress in costume, make fairy wings, dance in the streets and more.
- The Czech Festival - Kolaches and dancing - enough said.
- The Watermelon Festival in Rush Springs, OK - enjoy carnival games, a seed spitting contest and all things watermelon.
Arts and Crafts
The hours of fun kids can having doing arts and crafts can't be overlooked. Here are some inexpensive arts and crafts ideas.
- Recycle - Most "trash" can be upcycled into art projects, like these ideas for old playing cards.
- Use "found" materials - acorns, leaves, flowers, let nature provide the art supplies.
The library is another fantastic way to cheaply entertain kids. It has games, story time, computers and more - what's not to love.
The great thing about kids is that, more than anything, they want to feel loved and have fun. This doesn't take a lot of money, it just takes a little creativity. Have fun exploring your home town or a new city with your kids.
More by this Author
Oklahoma City is truly a destination with a lot to offer. Here are the top free things to do in Oklahoma City.
The best way to compare diaper prices is by looking at the "price per diaper". Here's how to calculate the price per diaper to make sure you are getting the best deal.