How to Embarrass Your Tween or Teen
Gone are days when my daughter greeted me after school with a smile and some sort of artwork that indicated how her parent's were the center of her world, these years, from Kindergarten through 4th grade, are those things parents hold onto forever. Winds of change began to blow starting in 5th Grade, just a slight breeze of independence and rebel with a cause. When 6th Grade arrived, the slight breeze and turned into a good headwind, makeup started to dominate her face and friends were way more important as was Facebook. The little rebel with a cause was now pushing some limits. There were definite signs of anti-parentism and hard to ignore with all the rules suddenly imposed in certain situations. As a parent, I understood and reflected how I was, doesn't make it any easier! Worse was yet to come, the official start of the teens from tweens began in 7th Grade. More rules for parents to follow in more situations, more anti-parentism on a much larger scale. Why did this have to happen? Suddenly, privacy is a huge issue. The headwind is more like a very strong gust at times and sometimes rivals a typhoon. Luckily, boys are not really happening yet. This is going to become a scene from so many teen movies, I can see it and know its dialogue already!
There is amusement in the rules that many parents, like myself, must try to abide by.
1. As we approach school, the radio must be turned down, especially if it a station the teen does not approve of.
2. There will be no Beatle CDs being played while the teen is in car (she use to love them!).
3. When we pick up her friends for transport to the mall or movie, the parent is not allowed to ask said friends anything. They are to remain silent.
4. Parents must listen to teen stations while they are in car and must NOT sing or hum to any songs they happen to like.
5. The Disney radio station is now forbidden (it was her favorite through 5th grade),
6. When in public, parents will refrain from showing affection via actions or words, especially if friends are within hearing range.
7. Any parental comments made on the teen's facebook page will be monitored or deleted (R we in Russia somehow?)
8. If the teen has friends over at the house, the parental unit must be near invisible and refrain from interaction with friends.
9. It is a fact that teens are correct and parental units are wrong. That is a given.
10. if the bedroom door is closed, parents must knock and be given permission to enter by the Queen teen.
11. Parental units are expected to know how to text and they should refrain from using the phone as a , well, phone. Send an email or text.
With so many teen rules, it is no wonder there is clash! LOL! Oh, to embarrass and have the teen wrath upon you, simply pick a rule to violate, it is guaranteed to work!
More by this Author
Another bizarre true story against terrorism.
Odds are if you are under 40 yrs, you have never even heard of a Chevy Corvair as they stopped making them in 1969. Some 20-30 somethings think they are a Japanese car. If you were a kid in the mid to late 60's, you...
Join this long list of consumer problems and complaints about this car. Most o the problems are on models pre-2009. Many sad stories.