How to do a Time Capsule for Your Family
Make a Time Capsule
Are you looking at something unusual and memorable? Something that you can do that will preserve the valuable memories for you to cherish later together. Then you should do a family time capsule. This family time capsule will not only give people in the future a glimpse of what happen on that particular day but can also be your family heir loom.
Make Time Capsule as Your Family Project
Time capsule is like a message into the future in the form of snapshots of events and thoughts of that day. Get every member of the family to be involved. Consider this as one of your family project. It is fun as well as educational. You can make as many time capsules as you like. Just make sure it is for different event.
Reasons to Do Family Time Capsule
There are several reasons why you should do a family time capsule. It could be:
- To mark a special occasion such as the birth of a baby, a child graduation from kindergarten or high school, or your job promotion
- To chronicle your family’s history
- To preserve family’s memories
- As a special gift to your loved one
- As a family treasure box or heir loom
- To preserve the memoir, event and thoughts of the day
- To record your family’s visions, desires and aspirations for the future
- To record your message to your loved one
- To bring family together for the future unveiling of the time capsule
What to Put in a Time Capsule
What to put in your time capsule will depend on the reason why you have that time capsule in the first place. Is it to mark your kid’s first birthday, to remember the happy occasion that you are pregnant, that you are moving to a new and bigger house or just a simple reason to record the event of that day?
Make it personal and appealing. Just focus on things related to the reason, and things that happen on that day.
Things to Put in a Time Capsule
Here are some examples that you may want to consider:
- Something that will mark the event of that day (like your child’s exam results) and you can also write a short story on it
- Photos of you, your family, your other family members (grand ma, grand dad, uncles etc.) and friends
- Photos of your home and neighborhood
- Photos of your pet
- Photos of your favorite things
- 1st page of your local newspaper
- Letters and notes of the current event
- Letters to be address to you and your love one
- Any personal memorabilia like an old shoe, shirts etc.
- An empty can of your family’s favorite drink ( the design can change, so it’s nice to see what it was then)
- Drawings by your kids
- Video recording (could be of your child’s first step or his first word or his first birthday etc.)
- Tracing of all family member’s feet and hands
- Your vision, goal, aspirations and predictions
- Shopping receipts
- Anything else that are relevant to the reason why you have that time capsule
- You may want to do all these in the form of a scrapbook
- Ensure all items are label with a brief description of location, names and dates. However if you follow my tips on focusing on event of that DAY itself, then you do not have to date every item.
- A brief summary to the people who will be opening the time capsule, reasons for the capsule and list of contents
- Put only items that you do not need but relevant to the reason, idea and concept of why you have that time capsule (like to mark your son's first day at school)
- Items stored must be of non-biodegradable materials.
Things You Need to Make a Time Capsule
To create this family time capsule, you will need, amongst other things, the following:
- Any waterproof airtight container. Depending on where you intent to keep this time capsule, you may want to consider using a fireproof container. The size of this container must be adequate to put all your contents. You may also buy specially made time capsule container.
- Airtight plastic bags such as Ziploc
- Camera, to take photos of the event for that day
- Acid free papers and envelopes to write notes, thoughts, messages or anything significant and individually sealed in each envelopes.
- Artifacts, personal items and mementos
- Video recording if required
- Other items such as front page of that day's newspaper
Where to Hide
So where should you keep or hide this family time capsule?
You may want to bury it in the front garden. If you choose this option, remember to dig it out should you move house, do any extension to your house or anything else that may permanently seal it.
Alternatively, you may want to put it in a less trafficked area like in the attic.
Whatever is your decision, record the location of your time capsule and when is the agreed unveiling date. Otherwise, you will forget especially if you choose to have a longer period before you unveil the time capsule.
When to Open Time Capsule
Not only will the kids be looking forward to open this time capsule but you as the parent, will also be anticipating this big day. The longer you set the opening date, the more dramatic and significant will you see in the changes. It could be 5 years, 10 years, or more. Whichever period you choose, stick to it.
Start on Your Family Time Capsule Now
Your family time capsule will freeze and preserve your family’s special moments or ideas of that day. It will regroup all family members for this unveiling of the time capsule. It can be fun and it can be sad. Whatever the outcome, this family time capsule will definitely be cherished and appreciated for years to come.
Have you started on your family time capsule yet?
More by this Author
In this Philippines or Pinoy folktales, the crabs went to war with the sea waves, an ancient story from the Visayan tribe. A great bedtime story for kids.
There are many children's stories that revolve around mousedeer's deed and bravery. This story is about a Mouse Deer or Sang Kancil that managed to outwit a crocodile.
Do plants like music? It's a controversial topic: Studies have supported the claim that music can result in better growth, but many disagree with those findings. Hear both sides & decide for yourself.