How to teach colors to kids and preschool children
Why teach colors to preschool children?
There are many ways to teach your children the basic colors. Some can be fun and interesting and some can be boring. Teaching your children colors by playing games is not only fun but also it gives them different ways to learn something basic.You can also read children’s books that focus on colors. Most children should be able to recognize color differences by 18 months. Here are some tips and ideas to teach colors to kids and preschool children.
Teach colors with bright pencils
Tips to teach colors to kids
1. Books: There are many books that reinforce the colors. Find a fun book that focuses on two or three colors with many photos. This is a fun way to teach colors to kids.
2. Flash cards: You can teach colors through flash cards. Flash cards contain pictures of items in various colors. For example, if it is a picture of a banana it would be yellow.
3. Food: Kids also learn colors through food. Foods come in a variety of vibrant colors. When your child asks for something to eat, tell them the color of what they are eating. Some varieties of foods, like apples and peppers, come in many colors, which also teaches the kids that objects can have more than one color.
4. Painting: You can use paints to teach colors to preschool children. Take a giant piece of poster board and lay it on a drop cloth. Let the children dip their hands in the paint and create handprints on the paper. Call out each color after they make a hand print. Wash their little hands and start over. Kids like to be messy so this teaching tool is both fun and educational. Art is the best way to teach your child about colors and develop imagination and creativity as well.
5. Take your child outside. As you pass trees, stones, grasses and cars, identify the colors. After you have seen a wide variety of colors, point to something and ask your child what color it is. This exercise may be slow going at first because colors in nature don’t appear in the same hues as they do on flash cards or in a paint set.
6. Point Out Colors: Another good way to teach colors to kids is to always point out different colors. Show them the colors in their clothes and shoes, animals, blankets, and anything you can imagine. The more you should your toddler colors the easier it will be to teach him because you are constantly reinforcing the colors.
You should find the way your toddler learns best and go with that. Most toddlers are fast learners, but some prefer to play games, search for colors, or read a book. Spend time every day showing your toddler colors and you will see it won’ t take long before your toddler knows his colors.
How to teach colors to kids
More by this Author
One of the challenging things of being a parent of a toddler is to potty train your kid at the right time and having the patience through the process. Some toddlers are ready as young as 10 months, but some at 18 months...
Want to teach your child some basic math concepts? Read on to find out how an abacus make learning math easy and fun for your child!
How to find whether your baby has diarrhea, how to treat it, and what to feed your baby.