How to treat cold in infants and children
Infant babies and cold
Cold can be caused by different types of viruses, and the body can never build up resistance to all of them. Children and adults are most likely to have colds during fall and winter, starting in late august or early september until March or April. Common cold is characterized by runny nose, congestion, sore throat and sneezing. Below you will find how to treat cold in infants and children.
Symptoms of common cold:
The usual symptoms of cold are running nose, sneezing, sore throat, temperature, chill, muscle aches, pain in the whole body, congestion, trouble breathing, watery eyes, mucus discharge and loss of appetite. Children may also get a yellow or green colored discharge during the first 2 to 3 days of the illness. Also the lining of the nose may become red and swollen.
Causes of cold in infants and children:
Some of the causes of cold in infants and children are viral or bacterial infection, weather change, smoking in front of kids and allergies. The most common virus is called the rhinovirus. Other viruses include the coronavirus, adenovirus, enterovirus, parainfluenza virus and respiratory syncytial virus.
Treatment for cold in infants and children:
1. Saline drops: Saline drops may help relieve congestion in infants. Saline drops makes it easier to breathe and allowing the baby to nurse or taking the bottle more comfortably. Saline gel is good for dry noses. Saline drops is one of the best remedy for colds in infants.
2. Breast milk: If you are b reastfeeding, continue to breastfeed, because it provides important antibodies and helps for fighting infection and strengthening your child's immune system.
3. Honey: Hot water drink mixed with honey is very soothing for excessive coughs and sneezing. Give a half teaspoon for children age 2 to 5, 1 teaspoon children 6 to 11 and 2 teaspoons children 12 and older. Never give honey for children under 1 year of age because of the risk of infant botulism.
4. Steaming: You can turn the hot water in the shower and sit with the baby ( over 6 months) for 10 minutes. Make sure the bathroom door is closed to keep the steam coming. After this process, use a nasal bulb syringe to suction secretions from baby's mouth.
5. Humidifier: Use a humidifier or a cool mist vaporizer to increase mositure in your baby's bedroom. Cool mist humidifier helps to cure your baby's cold and congestion. Change the water everyday and clean according to the manual instructions.
6. Salt water: You can also try 8 ounce of warm water mixed with half teaspoon of salt to help relieve sore throat.
7. Fluids: Give plenty of fluids to your baby to help thin secretions and prevent dehydrations. Fluids can help wash out the toxins from the body. It also helps to relieve congestion. You can also give lime juice to older children. Vitamin c rich lime juice reduces the duration of your's child's illnes.
8. Sleep and rest: Taking plenty of sleep will allow your body to fight the illness more efficiently. Also it can shorten the time period of your child's cold.
9. Soups: Garlic soup is good to reduce the severity of cold. You can make garlic soup by boiling 2 cloves of garlic in half cup of water. After it cools, you can give this to your child.
10.Others: Do not give over the counter medicines under 6 years of age unless prescribed by your doctor.
Transmission of cold: Cold can be easily transmitted from preson to person either by direct contact or contact with virus in the environment.
Prevention of cold in babies and children:
- Wash your hands frequently and make sure everyone in your home washes their hands frequetly.
- Wash hands after contact with sick people.
More by this Author
Your baby has so much to see and learn. Most of your baby's early vision development is in your hands. The ability to see well is a critical thing to learn as the baby will use the eyes to take in massive amounts of...
Starting your baby on solid foods is the beginning of lifelong eating habits that contribute to your baby's overall health. Here are general guidelines that can help you start your baby out on the right track to a...
Want to teach your child some basic math concepts? Read on to find out how an abacus make learning math easy and fun for your child!