Is Your House Safe For A Visiting Toddler?
A reminder of the trivia’s that we forget when our own kids grow up and we have toddlers visiting.
For me toddlers are the heartbeat of the planet. They make this world smile with their little antics and even just by their presence. Their cackling and giggling changes the entire ambience in a gathering; I have even seen people laughing at a funeral where a toddler was there to cheer up the world.
But these little heart winners can become the cause of a heart ache when they get into trouble because of their inquisitive nature. It is very heartbreaking to see a toddler getting hurt while venturing in or around the house. What has to be seen is that a toddler is never responsible for anything. He can act anyway at anytime without caring for the repercussions. It’s the adults who have to understand and make things safer for their visits.
There is always a difference when our own kids grow up and little things like a hot coffee mug is left on the coffee table by your chair is no danger, but when a toddler comes around that mug is surely to be marked with a big skull and bones sign.
I have listed a few and would love to see you add to my list and also see how often you follow those when a little darling is around free to explore your house:
Pet In The House
• Do you crate your dog or cat?See results without voting
• Remove feeding utensils?See results without voting
• Is your pet free from all communicable diseases?See results without voting
• Ensure supervised interaction?See results without voting
• Is your pet docile/ trained enough to let a toddler manhandle it?See results without voting
Safety In The House
• Do you remove all delicate glass and sharp edged decoration pieces from his or her reach?See results without voting
• Do you remove all hazardous materials like detergents and pesticides from within his or her reach?See results without voting
• Do you ensure there are no gardening tools lying around?See results without voting
• Do not let the toddler wonder towards the street?See results without voting
• Do you properly secure drawers and cabinets within his or her reach?See results without voting
Safety Around The House
• When playing outside do you stay nearby?See results without voting
• Do you lock your basement door?See results without voting
• Do you secure all exposed sockets?See results without voting
• Do you ensure that there are no overgrown patches of grass or poisonous weeds around?See results without voting
• Is your pool or fountain toddler safe?See results without voting
More by this Author
Recently an informal student of mine closely escaped being raped in broad daylight at a desolated spot in Manchester. The seventeen year old girl had travelled on the train and had noticed a young man in his early...
Introduction By all definitions the profession of teaching has a very prestigious place in all professions. A teacher is a kingpin in the entire system of education. Almost all cultures of the civilized world...
Introduction Most of the people believe that parenting is a natural thing and comes with the birth of a child, especially for a woman. Men living with a family learn it with passage of time and intimacy with a child....