10 Valuable Life Skills For: Children, Teenagers and Young People
Children Need A Strong Foundation To Survive
In order to survive in this world, children need to know some basic life skills that will carry them through life and help them be productive citizens and role models.
Children that were born between 1980 to present are missing out on a lot of foundational lessons, and because of their lack of knowledge, we are turning into a dysfunctional society that lacks standards, morals and character. This does mean that their are strong well-adjusted kids in the world though.
I do not write this article to say that there is not good in society, not by any means. What I am saying is this, we are in the midst of moral decay. We have become too accepting of immoral acts and young people feel indifferent about major issues. I will not make a list of the immoral acts because I know you have read it in the paper. We have compromised our standards, and our children are suffering because of it. Hear me out, and let's reason together.
Is Technology Ruining Us?
We have all made mistakes, and I will be the first to admit it; however, we can do better. Our children have been greatly affected by our sins and improprieties, and they need direction and healing. Technology has had a major impact on the way we communicate with each other. While technology has advanced us, we have also seen the harmful affects of the misuse of technology.
When I think about my teenagers and young adult daughter, I think about the many lessons I learned growing up as a child that they either did not get or got it late in their teens. We as a society have allowed technology to spoil our kids. For example, we text our children a message when they are right across the hall from us in their bedroom.
My last thought before I move on is this. I believe that we have given our children what they have not earned, and that is a problem. I am not apposed to technology or material things, what I am apposed to is the fact that some kids do not appreciate what you give them. The term that is used today is, “entitlement” – kids feel that you owe them something.
For those who are still reading, there is hope and I do have some answers for you today. Following, you will find a list of teachable lessons for your young person that you can make enjoyable and have some fun with your children while teaching them.
Cute Video About Kids Learning Life Lessons
First Three Lessons
1. Open a Savings Account. Where your money goes, so does your heart. Find a local bank near your home, and take your child to open a savings account. They will have to have a small amount of cash to get started. Saving is a fundamental lesson that needs to be taught and learned early. A child is never too young to learn about money. Opening a Lemonade Stand is one way to teach children about money, and they will have fun doing it.
2. Business Meeting Etiquette. Every kid should learn the protocol of how to act in a business meeting. Proper attire, the handshake and effective communication will help your child get a job, scholarship or even win a proposal. Kids should learn to shake with confidence.
3. Hand-Wash The Car. Yes, I know we have drive-thru car washes, but washing the car themselves can give children a greater appreciation for the car they own. You might want to teach them how to change the oil while you are at it.
More Life Lessons
4. Basic Household Chores. Clean the bathroom. Mop the floor. Cook a basic meal. A home must be kept clean for sanitary reasons. I have two sons, and there are times when I have gone into their rooms, and you would have thought a hurricane came through. Boys need to clean just like girls, because one day they will be men -- and no girl wants an unclean man.
5. How To Treat The Opposite Sex. Both boys and girls need to know how to conduct themselves like gentlemen and ladies in each others' presence. Opposite sex relationships start in a child’s early life. They need to understand that their body is a temple, and they should not defile it with uncleanliness. Children must be taught what their bodies are purposed for.
6. Good Study Habits. When good study habits are formed, the sky is the limit. I realize all students are not “A” students, but they should do the best they can. Laziness is friend to poverty. And if your student needs help, make sure they get the support they need. Scholarships are the reward of good study habits. Some children need more support in this area than others. Set aside time daily for kids to study and follow up on things they have learned in school.
7. Summertime Is Not The Time To Be Lazy. Summertime is the time for adventure, and discovery. In school a child has to follow the school’s curriculum guidelines – but summertime is the time to do your own agenda. Summer enrichment programs and internships have changed many students’ lives. Find local opportunities that your child can participate in - Churches, Colleges and Universities usually offer enrichment classes and/or programs.
Last Few Life Skills For Children
8. Reading Outside Of School Is Essential. Kids should build their knowledge base by reading and more reading. You can learn alot on your own just by reading. If you are a reader, you will be far advanced among your peers. Knowledge opens many doors.
9. You Can Get Pregnant If You Have Sexual Intercourse Just One Time. The best thing to do about sex as a child or teen is to abstain until marriage. You will save yourself a whole lot of grief, emotional issues, sexual disease and a potential pregnancy that you never planned. Premature sex has hurt many young people’s lives.
10. Respect Your Parents And Adults. I saved this one for last, although is could easily have been first. You can learn a lot from a child that respects adults; they will go far in life. A parent represents authority. The respect of a parent comes with a blessing – you will live long upon the earth. Even when parents are wrong, children should respect their parents. Respect does not mean that you you have to agree with your parents, it means acknowledging that they are the parent without fighting back.
Discuss This List With Your Child, Teenager and Young Person
That’s it for now. I hope this hub sparks a discussion with your child or teenager, because they need it. It is never too late to help our young people -- and if this list looks overwhelming, start with that one point and work on it to bring you peace, comfort and joy.
Thanks for reading and enjoy your day!
More by this Author
Starting a small business can be fun and easy. You can operate a small business from your home to keep cost down. Start today doing what you love to do and reap financial benefits. Choose a business that you are...
Bragg organic apple cider vinegar gives you amazing energy. Get the one with 'mother'. You energy will boost within days. If you feel sluggish, you might need to detox. ACV helps your body detox and rid it of...
Characteristics of a passionate person. Passion is having strong emotions about something. Passion is something that you have on the inside of you that motivates you to go a step further. Passion drives you beyond...