Massaging Babies and Aromatherapy
Aromatherapy is all about utilizing naturally, extracted, aromatic essences from plants to balance, harmonize and promote the health of body, mind and spirit. The aromatic essences are turned into essential oils.
Babies can be introduced to essential aromatherapy oils –maybe 2 or 3 times a week. Chamomile and Lavender are safe to use if diluted well. (one drop of oil to one table spoon of carrier oil.)
Uses of Essential Oils for Babies
1) It can be used for massaging babies lightly. The babies should be at least four weeks old. It relaxes them and promotes good sleep. Hopefully, no long spells of crying.
Note: New babies should not be massaged with Essential oils. it is advisable to use Almond or Olive oil and ensure their body is warm. I wouldn’t even call it a massage – it’s a gentle stroking of their body.
2) A bowl of hot water in a babies room, with a few drops of lavender or mandarin oil. It has calm and relaxing qualities.
3) To clear a cold, put a few drops of eucalyptus oil in a bowl with hot water. (Even as an adult I find this useful in the winter months but instead of a bowl of water, I use a small oil burner with a candle).
The best Essential oil to use for kids is Mandarin or Tangerine Oil. They have similar smells – a lovely, fruity fragrance. I love the smell. The soothing and calming properties are useful for when kids are fretful.
Essential oils are also beneficial to Adults. (see link below) They can be used for massaging the body, a few drops could be put in your bath or they can be used in a oil burner to give the home a pleasant smell.
Useful info: Essential oils and their uses
More kids articles...
- Baby Boys are more important than Baby Girls
Why baby boys are better than baby girls.
- The Curious minds of Kids
Interesting and strange things I was curious about as a Kid - Kids have quite an imagination. January 2010
More by this Author
Procrastinating Excuses and how to overcome.
Why I don't agree with kids calling the Police on their parents.
Things I have personally noticed about people who laugh a lot. Thought provoking. Laughter is Good.