Parenting skills: tips on how to make a child a good human
you may be one who has gone through all web articles on parenting to find a proper way to raise your child. From those articles,you may have got good advice on nutrition, health, education and social etiquette. Beside these, parenthood brings you a responsibility to answer following questions as well. How to make a child a good human? How to make them live a virtuous life without intervening their freedom? How to make a child a man with strong character, courage, patience, ability to enjoy life? Now let's ask ourselves how often we think about these issues.
All parents in this world say that they are doing best for their children. Our own parents too boast of this universal axiom! Then, why do we have so much tension in our lives? If all people are children of good parents, why is there so much negativity in this world? Selfishness, anger, greed, egoism, grave seriousness; from where do these negative emotions come? Where is the root? PARENTHOOD. So, proper parenthood has tremendous potential to bring radical change in whole world.
Don't worry that children never listen to you; worry that they are always watching you. ~Robert Fulghum
Do you really want your child to lead a life like you? Think deeply. He/she learns from our life. We must set up ourselves as good example. Giving them presents is not enough, we must make them feel our presence. We must be compassionate enough to listen to them and firm enough to protect them from evils. We must help them explore themselves so that they can find the way for themselves. Kahlil Gibran on children puts it beautifully as:
Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them,
but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday
Less poetically, more practically, parenting should always aim at creating an individual not a member of herd. How? Okay, you have been imposing all your "do and do not" on your children without concerning much about the expectations of an innocent mind. Now it's your child's turn. He has written a simple note for you.
A Child's Note To Parents
- Don't always put me in the world of fantasies and angels. Though I enjoy them, I may become someone who is unable to accept the reality.
- Don't make me feel that my mistakes are sins. It upsets my sense of values.
- Don't be afraid to be firm with me. I prefer it.. it makes me feel more secure.
- Don't correct me in front of people. I will take much more notice if you talk to me in private.
- Don't make rash promises. Remember that I feel badly let down when promises are broken.
- Don't protect me from consequence. I need to learn the hard way.
- Don't nag. If you do, I shall have to protect myself by appearing deaf!
- Don't tax my honesty too much. I am easily frightened into telling lies.
- Don't ever suggest that you are perfect or infallible. It gives me too great a shock when I discover that you are neither.
- Don't be inconsistent. That confuses me and makes me lose my faith in you.
- Don't put me off when i ask you questions. If you do, you will find that I stop asking and seek my information elsewhere.
- Don't ever think it beneath your dignity to apologize to me. An honest apology makes me feel surprisingly warm to you.
- Don't forget that I love experimenting. I could not get along without it, so please put up with it.
- Don't forget that I cannot thrive without lots of love. But I don't need to tell you all the time, do I?
Well, our child's note has the best parenting tips or advice for us. He gives us signs and we have to follow them so that we can lead them to abode of happiness and peace. Not only our child grows, we grow with them too. A proper parenting helps us be better, helps us find our true self too. So, let's not miss this great opportunity. Finally, 4 things which are needed to make a child a good human:
- Constant Motivation
- Proper Care for their body, mind and spirit.
I am sure the happiest day for parents is the day when their child becomes a man and says "I am proud of my dad and mom". Work from now for that day!
More by this Author
Zen is a school of Buddhism that strongly emphasizes on non attachment. Buddha is the most misunderstood person in the history of mankind. He always insisted his followers on being themselves, he was against the concept...
Zen poems and haiku are like word paintings. They paint a picture, a very living picture.Here are 10 most beautiful zen poems and haiku by masters like Basho, Dogen, Issa, Hofuku, Ekon. We need to read between the...
Zen is full of paradoxes. So are Zen quotes... It’s human tendency to segregate life events into good and bad. We say happiness, sorrow, pain, pleasure, life, death, friend, enemy, love, hate and so on. This...