Pre K Worksheets | PreSchool Coloring Pages
Pre K worksheets and coloring pages
Preschool (or pre k) worksheets (mainly coloring pages) can be of great use in helping kids learn basic preschool lessons. Most kids love to colour, and kids are today expected to know quite a few things even at the preschool stage itself. Hence using pre k worksheets or preschool coloring pages will help kids have fun while learning. These coloring pages can have pictures (as outlines) of those things to color in, that we might want the preschooler to learn. The preschool worksheets or coloring pages can be purchased as coloring books or as printable sheets that can be downloaded. Downloading printable sheets has the benefit that you can usually print out only the sheets you need, and usually you can print them out as many times as you need. This makes it easy if you would like a sheet to be done more than once.
What may the preschool coloring pages contain
Preschool colouring pages may start with outlines of common shapes to color inside, to practise coloring inside a shape. Then there may be sheets with dotted lines and curves to trace on to help children draw the basic lines and curves that will help them later form letters. Then there may be outlines of the letters of the alphabet and numbers, to help them recognise the shape of these and identify them. Outline pictures of fruits, vegetables, animals, birds and other common things may be present to help children recognise these.
PreSchool coloring pages- shapes
Basic shapes: First, we can give basic shapes like circles, squares, rectangles, ovals and stars to color inside. By practicing to color within the shape, children develop better dexterity. We can start with big size shapes and gradually make them a little smaller.
Sample preschool worksheets
Lines & Curves preschool worksheets
Lines: Dotted lines can be given to trace on. The basic strokes and curves used in forming letters – vertical and horizontal lines, slanting lines, and curves can be given. Tracing lines and curves is good practice for preschool children to develop important pre-writing skills.
Alphabet preschool worksheets
The alphabet: Big size letters (outlines) can be given to color in. This will help children recognize the shape of the letters. The letters should be of big size, since children are just starting off holding a crayon. Once the child is comfortable holding the crayon or pencil, and has better control over it, we can have slightly smaller letters.
Preschool alphabet worksheets
Numbers preschool worksheets
Numbers: Big size numbers (outlines) can be given to color in. This will help children to understand the shape of the numbers and thus identify them. Again, the numbers should be of big size, since children are just starting off holding a crayon. Once the child is comfortable holding the crayon or pencil and has better control over it, we can have slightly smaller sized numbers.
Fruits & Vegetables preschool worksheets
Fruits & vegetables: The outlines of common fruits and vegetables can be given to color in. This will help children recognize common fruits and vegetables.
Animals & Birds preschool worksheets
Animals & Birds: The outlines of common animals and birds can be given to color in. This will help children recognize common animals and birds.
Common Objects preschool worksheets
Common objects: The outlines of common objects (for example: cup, chair, ball, balloon, kite, etc) can be given to color in. This will help children recognize these common objects.
Thing to keep in mind while using preschool coloring sheets
1. Use coloring sheets appropriate to a child's level.
2. If a child is not able to color inside the picture, try giving sheets with bigger pictures, as it would be easier to color inside a bigger outline. It is important that the child doesn't get frustrated. Keep in mind that different children have greatly varying levels of skill, and pace of development.
3. Do not give many sheets together. Also the attention span of a preschool child is usually very small. It is important that she enjoys the coloring. If the child is getting restless, let her do something else and then come back to the coloring sheet later.
4. Try to supplement the coloring sheets with practical, real-life examples. For example after colouring in a banana you could give her a banana to eat!
5. Remember, a child is learning many new things at once. A child of this age has an amazing capacity to learn many new things fast. However, he can also forget them equally fast. Coloring in pictures would be fun for him and would help continually re-inforce what is learnt.
6. You must give positive feeedback and encourage a child. His finer motor skills are just developing. Do not have him write or color until he is fully comfortable with holding a pencil or crayon. Also, do not expect or try for perfection. Spend sufficient time and continually re-inforce the learning in day-to-day situations. Remember to make it fun for the teacher and the taught!
Using printable pre k worksheets
There are many workbooks and coloring books available for preschool children. A good option is to use downloadable and printable preschool coloring sheets. This has several advantages:
1. If you find such a set of preschool coloring pages that you like you can download them instantly, print them out on your printer and use them immediately. Thus you don't have to wait.
2. You can buy and download from your house. You can avoid a trip to the bookstore.
3. You can print out selectively the coloring pages you need. In effect you can print out a customized book only with the sheets you need.
4. You can usually print out selected preschool worksheets any number of times for your child. If she needs more practice on a particular sheet you can print it out again.
A short story for preschoolers - the lion and the mouse - video
Short story for kids - the thirsty crow
More by this Author
Here is the story of the fox and the stork with pictures. Small stories for kids like the fox and the stork story are very popular. Here is a beautifully illustrated version of this fable that has a moral too.
Number recognition worksheets can be a fun way to help learn numbers. See several types of number recognition worksheets with fun activities with pictures and videos - also color by number worksheets
The Panchatantra stories, like the story of the monkey and the crocodile, are a set of animal fables written almost 18 centuries ago in India and very widely retold and translated.