Preschool Science :Toddler lesson plans
Science can be fun
Play Dough is one of the many manipulatives that foster cognitive and fine motor skills while introducing toddlers to science. Science is suppose to be fun and entertaining. Play dough accomplishes these requirements in two ways. First you make the play dough using your hands. Which is using fine motor skills. Next you transform what you just created into anything you can imagine. this fosters cognitive development.
Play dough can be made very inexpensively at home or in a class setting. It is a great project for teachers as well as babysitters. It is both fun and educational. if you dont have time to make it it can be purchased inexpensively.
Making play dough with my grandson.
- 1 cup All purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup baby powder
- food coloring, gel
- 2/3 cup water
Mixing it all togather
- Get a bowl and add flour, salt, and olive oil .Mix these three ingredients then add water.
- Next knead the dough with your hand until it is a uniform consistency. If the dough feels too dry you want to wet your hands with water and roll dough between wet hands.
- Then add food coloring by spreading it down one side of the dough and rubbing it in. (Put on Gloves if in a class setting . Food color washes off with soap and water) Repeat this process with the other side until the dough is covered.
- Let the dough absorb the food coloring about ten minutes and sprinkle with baby powder. Store you play dough in a zip lock bag
Shandria conducting preschool science
What you think of the recipe?
By making play dough with your toddler you should create educational goals and try to accomplish them during the administration and demonstration process of your experiment. This sets your class or family up for success.
- Introduce toddler to science.
- Enhance small motor skills.
- Enhance listening skills.
- Enhance cognitive skills.
Play dough us a great manipulative that work both fine motor and cognitive skills. It also introduces science in a fun way. After doing this lesson your toddler will visually observe the flour change from a powder to a solid. The child will be able to exercise his fingers by kneading dough using her hands. The students has to listen and follow directions and create objects using imagination.
Having nature walks is another way to expose toddlers to science by using the outdoors.Be sure to take the time to discuss trees and the changing of leaves for autumn..Also this would b an excellent time to collect leaves and make a collection for the class. You could also get a large piece of paper and attach it to a tree and do rubbings using crayons '. Your students are sure to learn a lot about nature whileexploring at the same time'
Please give your opinion
What age groups do you think would benefit the most from these activities?See results without voting
More by this Author
This hub provides information on how to obtain supplies to make wigs.
If you shop at Winn Dixie and use a debit card please read this.It might change your method of payment at this store.
This is an article for Alabama residents receiving full medicaid. Recipients may qualify for gas reimbursements for non-emergency doctor appointments. This article will inform you of the steps.
No comments yet.