Taking My Hat Off To Single Parents 2-5----Tips For Single Parents
Getting In Touch with You
9. Make the most of ex’s, as annoying as they may be. If your ex is given weekend custody of the child, unless the child is at risk, do not hesitate to take advantage of this timeout. You will be better for it and your child will enjoy having a less strung mum or dad at home.
Many mothers cannot bear to be away from their children. They feel nobody can look after the child better than they can. This may be true, but no one is indispensable. Let him spend money on him/her, especially money that he will not necessarily give you. You and your child will be better off in the long run when you have had some time out.
Believe me, I felt the same way. I felt I could not bear to be away from my daughter, not knowing what they were up to. I could not eat or sleep well. I was listless and did not know what to do with myself. God only knows how many times I cleaned the back of the cooker. It occurred to me that my life revolved around my daughter’s.
Once I got over that I could not wait for the breaks. It did not mean I loved my daughter any less, rather it meant that I could come alive again, develop interests like painting, cycling, swimming, taking long walks, reading , etc which if she were with me the whole safety issue, attending to her, preparing and packing this and that, would have made it laborious to arrange. I renewed my contacts with friends and watched latest DVD’s and rested in a quiet environment.
By the time she came back, I was ready to be with her. Instead of moaning and thinking of ways to stop the visits, take advantage of them. Get in touch with you.
10. I do not believe in children being paid to do chores around the house. Many of chores contain as much their mess as yours. Make sure your children are as involved as you are in keeping your space clean. By doing things together they will not only develop the skills necessary for everyday living, they will be developing self-confidence, competence and initiative. They would learn to take pride in their surroundings. They would also appreciate the work that others do to keep to their surroundings clean and the dignity of labour.
These skills will need to be learnt at some point anyway so start early. A five-year-old can start by emptying a waste paper basket three times a week. Once this routine is set, they will be used to it (conditioning). More complex chores can be introduced with age.
Another advantage of this is that the children are kept busy for at least half an hour. We all know that the devil finds work for the idle.
11 For this reason, you should also find other activities for the child to do during the day. They should be encouraged to be creative, and innovative. They should be taken to beautiful parks regularly.
These trips will be opportunities to talk to the children and establish a rapport. What-if scenarios could be given to identify thought patterns. This not to say that doing nothing is not acceptable. We all need a do-nothing-day, to recoup especially when the children have been involved in a lot of work or studying.
- Taking My Hat Off To Single Parents 1-------There Go...
Comments and observations about single parenting from a single parent raised by a single parent.
- Taking My Hat Off To Single Parents 2-1-----Tips For...
An article that advises single parents based on personal experiences of a single mother of six.Tips of dos and donts that single parents need to consider as they proceed in their lives.
- Taking My Hat Off To Single Parents 2-2-----Tips For...
A continuation of tips for single parents - to do with relationships.
- Taking My Hat Off To Single Parents 2-3-----Tips For...
A continuation of tips for single parents discussing the balancing acts of parenting, pursuing a career and holding down a relationship.
- Taking My Hat Off to Single Parents 2-4------ Tips F...
A continuation of tips for the single parents discussing the benefits of networking and boundaries for the child.
More by this Author
When communication between the Holy Spirit and I began to take place, my initial reaction was this must be a joke. This is the first of a three part hub on my initial experiences with the Holy Spirit.
A four part series of my learning experiences with the Holy Spirit to listen and obey.
A four part hub on communication between the Holy Spirit and I. But this looks like a remedial class going on?