Quick Guide to Traveling Long Distance Alone with Baby
Traveling alone with a baby requires advance preparation, especially if you intend to drive long distances.The best way is to have a check list for packing, and advice on when to depart and when to break your journey. This way, you will not miss out on some important things that need to be done.
Let's start with packing list and check list of baby stuff:
Packing List for Travel with Baby
- Baby food including formula, hot and cold water, and feeding utensils.
- Wipes and tissues.
- Baby clothing including blanket and pillows.
- Bottle warmers which can be plugged to your car cigarette lighter.
- Diaper rash cream and other medications, if required.
- Plastic bags for soiled diaper and clothing.
- Pacifiers, breast pump, if applicable.
- 'Security blanket' and small toys that baby is accustomed to.
- Crib and pram.
- Bibs and disposable bibs for in-car use.
- Baby car seat.
- Songs and familiar stories on CD or tape to keep your baby occupied. This way, you can concentrate on your driving while the CD or tape will help 'entertain' your baby when traveling alone with baby.
Next let's look at your own need packing checklist
- Car has been serviced, tire properly inflated, fuel tank is full and car tool kits and torch light are in place. You do not want to be caught stranded by the roadside when traveling alone with baby.
- Phone fully charged, with in-car battery charger for added convenience
- Your clothing, toiletries and medications
- The reason for you making this trip; what you need to bring with you e.g. files, documents etc.
- Snacks and drinks.
- Camera and charger
- Telephone numbers of relevant people including your baby's doctor
- Hotel reservation if you intent to stay at a hotel
- Informing the party at your destination of your time of departure and expected time of arrival
- First Aid Kit
- Maps or in-car GPS navigation system
- Lastly get enough sleep before the journey
- If you are pregnant, then you may want to read this article for additional information, Travel during Pregnancy
Tips and Advice - When to depart
- When you have to drive alone with baby, the best time to start your journey is around your baby's nap time. This will help you to concentrate on the driving instead of having to do both, the driving and entertaining the baby. However, as suggested by reader MargeBryant, if this is not possible, then make sure your baby is well fed before going on the journey.
- Try to avoid the peak rush hour
- Familiarize yourself with the travel directions before hand. Get directions, ahead of travel. This way, you don't have to stop and ask. Alternatively get an in-car GPS navigation system
Organizing Your Stuff
- Items such as baby food, milk bottle, wipes and pacifiers should be within arm's reach. This also applies to your snack and drinks.
- Remember which items are packed in which bags, so you can get to them easily
Tips and Advice - When to Break Your Journey
- When traveling with baby, it is important that you plan your journey for a few mini breaks and stop only when your child is awake. This will give your baby a chance to get out of the baby seat. This also applies when you travel with kids.
- Stop only in a bigger rest area or town. Choose a crowded place such as a well patronized restaurant and not at a parking lot.
Drive Safely and Enjoy the Drive
Go through the check list for traveling alone with baby again, in case you have missed out on one or two things or have not fully completed them.
Finally don't forget to drive safely and enjoy the drive. Have fun, this will help reduce any driving stress that you might have. Also try to end your journey early. This will give you enough time to unwind.
I hope the above tips andcheck list, will help you in some way, to enjoy the travel alone with your baby.
Tips and Advice - Car Maintenance : How to replace a flat tire in case it happen when you are traveling alone with baby
Tips and Advice - How to reduce a baby's fever in case it happen when you travel alone with baby
More by this Author
Whether your child is a beginning reader or a reluctant reader or just learning to read, here are some great and simple ideas to get kids to read
There are many children's stories that revolve around mousedeer's deed and bravery. This story is about a Mouse Deer or Sang Kancil that managed to outwit a crocodile.
If you are looking for job opportunities in Malaysia or already working here as an expatriate, these list of issues & Q&A on tax law in Malaysia LHDN will help you understand your tax exposure better