How to Use the Boppy Nursing Pillow After Using It for Feeding Your Baby
Boppy nursing pillows are super popular, must-have items for new moms. They are on almost every baby shower registry, along with the colorful, patterned covers with which they come. They give adequate support for both breastfeeding and bottle feeding moms, positioning the baby just right for a good feeding. For moms who had to have a c-section, it has the added bonus of keeping any weight off tender c-section wounds.
But what do you do with the pillow when you no longer need it for feeding or holding the baby? Below are some alternate uses for your Boppy pillow!
Boppy Pillow as a Baby Prop
Did you find the need for a Boppy Pillow when you had a baby?See results without voting
How to Use the Boppy Pillow
If you're going to use the Boppy for sitting support, tummy time or when a sibling holds a baby, make sure to stay close!
Reusing a Boppy Nursing Pillow
It’s been a while since I have used my Boppy pillow for its intended purpose—feeding the baby—yet it’s still part of my every day décor. Why still keep it around? I have found a few uses for it after using for the baby.
1. Baby support—The Boppy pillow is nice to use for a reclining baby or a baby who is new to sitting. For reclining babies, it gives them a new view of the world around them and gives their soft heads a break from a flat, hard surface. For babies new to sitting, it gives them a hint of back support while protecting them from a bump on the head if they were to lean back or to the sides too far.
2. Belly support—It is important to give babies tummy time to help them build the muscles in their necks. Placing the Boppy pillow under the baby gives them a bit of an extra cushion for all of that hard work.
3. Sibling support—Have an older, toddler/preschool aged sibling who always wants to hold the baby? Place the Boppy pillow on his/her lap and it will make holding the baby easier and a bit safer for the baby. (Never leave an older sibling, especially toddlers, alone in this position. One sudden move and the baby could be sent tumbling…)
4. Neck support—The Boppy pillow is actually a pretty good neck support for adults looking to relax on a couch. I use it more than I use my throw pillows when I’m looking to take a catnap.
5. Writing/laptop support—I often do much of my brainstorming and writing in the living room where my children play. Since I don’t have a desk or table in there on which to write, I sit on the couch or floor. I place the Boppy pillow around my waist and use that as a higher platform than just my legs where I can write in my notebook. Also, if I’m not able to be at my desk or not able to use our desktop computer, I use the Boppy pillow to support my laptop, again because it’s higher than just the level of my lap.
6. Exercise support—Most of the floors in my house are hardwood, so when I complete exercises on my back I often find just the floor or exercise mat to be just too hard. When I am doing leg lifts, reverse sit-ups, etc., I place the Boppy under my hips so that there is not so much pressure and I am able to complete the exercises easily.
Make Your Own Boppy Pillow Cover!
Boppy Pillows on Amazon
How will you use your Boppy Nursing Pillow?
These are a few uses of the Boppy nursing pillow after using it with your baby. Some might otherwise choose to donate it or sell it on Ebay, which are two alternate possibilities. Of course, you could always save the Boppy nursing pillow for your next baby, but that’s all up to you!
More by this Author
How do you change a diaper? What diapers should you use: cloth diapers or disposable? How much do diapers cost? Learn how to change a baby's diaper and valuable tips about diaper changing and diapers
Having a baby shower?Learn about baby shower gift registries, how to create a baby registry, what items to add to your baby shower gift registry, and where to register.
Am I pregnant? How early can I take a pregnancy test? When can I take a pregnancy test? Find out about pregnancy tests and the best time to take one if you are trying to have a baby.