When You Choose Your Child's Activities, Be Sure To Choose Those Match With The Child's Personality
You may wish that your child should be a master or at least a "jack of all trades". So, you may try to admit him or her in as many after-school programs as possible. But, this may prove to be a wrong move. The child may not be able to cope up with all the activities and this may deflate the motivation of the child. The child may develop an inferiority complex also and it may cause a lot of problems in future. So, you must choose only those activities that may suit the personality of the child. The following few tips may be useful:
- You must first understand your child well. This is easier said than done. You may not easily be able to judge the interests of your child because the child may show interest in different activities at different times. You have to keep a close and constant watch on the child's behavior and by striking out the activities in which he or she loses interest soon, you may be able to narrow down only on a few programs.
- You can categorize after-school activities into a few types. Music lessons including training in various musical instruments come under the first type because the child may learn from these lessons how to express themselves in many new ways. Sports and field activities including team sports belong to the second type and from these activities, your child can learn to be competitive. The child may learn how to behave in a team also. The third type involves learning a foreign language or playing games like chess, etc. and these activities involve application of mind. Lastly, admitting your boy or girl in scouts and similar groups may be good for the overall development of the child.
- Once you match the child's personality with the right after-school activities, you should consider if you have appropriate facilities near your place. You can not expect your child to travel long distances for indulging in these activities. This may tax the capacity of the child. In certain cases, you may have to accompany the child to the locations where the facilities are available. This may not always be possible and so, you should choose only those activities that are feasible.
- After you have determined the activities, you must check the track records of the organizations that conduct them. You must check the competence of the teachers who give the training to children. The best way is to interact with the parents of children who have already taken the training. If the organizations have websites of their own, you can visit them and go through the testimonials written by people. There may be online reviews also about these organization and they may also help you to make your decision.
- You have to personally visit the venues and inspect if the surroundings are clean and safe, the ambiance is good and if there are adequate facilities. Only after satisfying yourself about these aspect, you should make your final decision.
- Lastly, you must not tax your child beyond his or her capacity. This may do more harm than good.
More by this Author
Many people believe that running can help them lose weight. But after trying for two or three weeks, they quit and start apprehending the effectiveness of running in reducing their weight.
Many parents do not know how to handle bored kids. They do not also realize that this gives them an opportunity to unlock the creative genius of these children. This hub provides a few tips.
Kids nowadays face the threat of cyber-bullying. Every cyber-bullying situation is different but there are certain general tips that can be useful for helping these children overcome the effects.
No comments yet.