landscapeartist profile image 83

Can a 24 yr. old adult with a developmental disability get away with threatening another person?

My sons 24 yr. old cousin is developmentally disabled. He has to live with his parent/guardian as he cannot take care of himself. On several occasions he has raised his fist to my son or threatened him. When I speak up, I'm told that he is disabled and to just ignore him, or tell my son to leave his cousin alone. That makes it seem that my son is the one being punished for what his cousin has done or said. I don't want to send the wrong signals to my son about life & what may arise. I think that the cousin has been taught that his disability will help him get away with alot.

DS Duby profile image88

DS Duby says

landscapeartist profile image83

Roberta McIlroy (landscapeartist) says

• landscapeartist profile image

Roberta McIlroy (landscapeartist) 4 years ago

I explain to the kids what they have done wrong and ask them if they understand what I am trying to say. If they don't understand then I try another approach.

• landscapeartist profile image

i agree its hard to answer it when you dont know what the disability is. i don't even know. He's 24 but has the mind of a teenager as he is a bit slow. not sure if its opitz syndrome but i know his little brother has it so he might too.

0

Starmom41 says

• landscapeartist profile image

I agree that my 12 yr. old shouldn't have to tolerate it at all. I have spoken to his cousin several times. It goes in one ear and out the other. He is disabled but he isn't stupid. Some people seem to think its one and the same, but it isn't.

0

Garifalia says

0

LikaMarie says