Billie Kelpin profile image 90

Is impulse control and self-discipline more difficult in a fast-paced world?

I was listening to a radio segment on texting and driving, and I'm wondering what happens in our minds to decide NOT to do it. I was at a light and wanted to text and told myself "No, it's not worth risking another person's life." I think there is that one second where we decide to cross over the line or not cross over the line in EVERYTHING we do. We have enormous self-discipline, actually, during the course of the day. I wonder if it's harder when we're so used to things happening so quickly. I notice how incredibly fast 20 and 30 year olds function and just wonder about the effect.

jennshealthstore profile image87

Jenn (jennshealthstore) says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 3 years ago

Jenn, my husband smoked for 20 years. He has the most extraordinary self-discipline in many areas, but quiting smoking was really hard for him, but he did it about 12 years ago.Re: impulse control-either it's harder or I'm becoming a mean old lady

ExpectGreatThings profile image90

ExpectGreatThings says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 3 years ago

Thank you EGT :) Great examples! To slow us down, I tried a "social basket" last Thanksgiving where everyone drops their electronic devices in at dinner time. I caught one of our adult kids PRETENDING he dropped his phone in.I got him though! (Ha!)

DDE profile image60

Devika Primić (DDE) says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 3 years ago

could be... I wonder how that is learned - how we teach children - that one second decision seems to be critical -