Billie Kelpin profile image 89

How do you cope with feeling your life turned out all wrong?

I know the common strategies for general coping - thinking positively, being grateful, believing that "It's never too late to be what you might have been," going to counseling, and on and on. But at those moments when you look at facebook, etc and see pictures of your friends with their families around them, people who have grandchildren, etc. etc., and you have little of that in your life - how do you cope at those moments? I imagine there's no "silver bullet". You try to be very grateful for what you do have and immerse yourself in your work and helping others, but...

Bruce A. Beaudet profile image86

Bruce A. Beaudet says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 3 years ago

Very good points, Bruce. Thank you. Did I mention to you before that my dearest college friend and the dear friend he married are Beaudet's? Chuck designs exquisite quality jewelry in Eugene, OR.

somethgblue profile image90

somethgblue says

• Insane Mundane profile image

Insane Mundane 3 years ago

That's right; it is all about the experience... An occasional numbskull learns along the way, while the many go with the flow in an aimless fashion all while the majority acts as mere variables within other peoples' path. The sun sets & rises..

MsDora profile image94

Dora Isaac Weithers (MsDora) says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 3 years ago

MsDora, as usual you have great insight. I don't think my grandmother situation will change in the foresee-able future, but that could happen. 'Count your blessings, don't compare your blessing with other's blessings' (I just heard that recently)

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 3 years ago

Cute: "not many people are going to post photos of themselves crying on Facebook" That has GOT to be the quote of the decade! Love it! I know what you're saying abt the "swapping" places - nor would we want to swap if it came down to it, right?

PoeticPhilosophy profile image78

PoeticPhilosophy says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 3 years ago

Poetic, I like your approach. I'll check out your hubs that you mentioned might help. I love the phrase "all that barley". I might just adopt it!

Diana Lee profile image79

Diana L Pierce (Diana Lee) says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 3 years ago

Thanks Diana. Everyone struggles, that's true. I guess when we're brave enough to "wonder if we could have done something better along the way," it opens us up to doing something better NOW. Cheers!

Anne Pettit profile image82

Anne Pettit says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 3 years ago

Anne, the quote is beautiful. Thank you for your kind words about my profile. I'm deciding to embrace DashingScorpio's quote: 'People don't post photos of themselves crying on facebook.' I love it. Thank you again. Cheers!

DDE profile image59

Devika Primić (DDE) says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 3 years ago

DDE, (love how your name is kinda like a play on words (names) True. Like you mentioned, I'm trying to figure out what I actually want this last chapter of my life to be.

pstraubie48 profile image89

Patricia Scott (pstraubie48) says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 3 years ago

Pstraubie48, you add true perspective with the story of your grandson. Thank you for "the Angels" You're very kind.

deedeelaw profile image60

Deborah S. Lawrence (deedeelaw) says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 3 years ago

Deedeelaw, I have recently decided that I want to make the last chapters "spectacular". Thank you for that image!

lupine profile image80

lupine says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 3 years ago

Great practical hints, Lupine. Have you made a nice hub on these points because I think they would be great since they are a combination of various points, packaged into one.

Billie Kelpin profile image89

Billie Kelpin says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 3 years ago

Thank you for such wonderful encouragement. This is quite beautiful. I really don't know how to respond other than to say I'm very touched, fpherj48.(I suspect your "name" might be consistent with a "rap" I wrote about how women my age don't say **)

taburkett profile image60

taburkett says

hulah cagen profile image60

hulah cagen says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 3 years ago

I like the "good karma" concept. And the fact that 1 never knows if something is a blessing in disguise. In 2005 my husband was laid off and we had to sell the house we bought. Guess what? It was JUST before the bubble burst. - true blessing

BobMonger profile image59

BobMonger says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 3 years ago

You're adorable! I read 1 or 2 of V's books yrs ago, but I think I should try that again. I love the concept of "some huge cosmic mistake". I find that delightfully humorous. I've wondered if we're all here by mistake b/c so much is unfathomable.

RealityTalk profile image61

RealityTalk says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 3 years ago

Rt, lovely! The one reason why I feel happy that my daughter started to focus on comedy is because for that time she's on the stage, she truly does bring a smile to others' faces. I that wish that each of us has quite noble in our human existence.